Dr. Nasser Alfaraj routinely represents foreign entities doing business in Saudi Arabia in corporate, labor and commercial law matters. He taught Private and Public Law at the University of Rouen from 1992 to 1997 before joining Baker McKenzie in Riyadh in June 1998. Dr. Alfaraj is licensed by the Ministry of Justice of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to practice law in the Kingdom. He is fluent in Arabic, French, English and Russian.
Dr. Alfaraj’s practice focuses on commercial agreements & contracts, corporate counseling & government, corporate reorganizations, employment and Islamic finance. He also advises on Islamic law, including structuring of Islamic finance deals.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the project sponsors in relation to Islamic finance, Saudi corporate law and regulatory issues on the USD2.06 billion 16 year conventional, istisna'a and ijara based facilities for the construction of a phosphate mine and beneficiation plant at Al Jalamid, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and a fertilizer production complex at Ras Az Zawr, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) in relation to the issue of SAR8 billion (approximately USD2.33 billion) investment sukuk in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing The Saudi British Bank in relation to the establishment of a USD650 million MTN Programme and the issue of notes thereunder, the first ever MTN Programme established by a Saudi Arabian issuer.
- Advising the CV3 Consortium (consisting of Shell Exploration Company B.V., Total Ventures Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabian Oil Company) in relation to the Saudi Arabian Gas Initiative.
- Advising a number of banks in relation to the licensing of their investment banking business under the new Saudi Arabian Capital Markets legislation and attending to the incorporation formalities of the new investment banking entities.
- Acting for a major US energy company in relation to its participation in an energy project in Saudi Arabia and attending to the incorporation of the joint venture project company.
- Saudi Arabia (1997)
- Rouen University (Ph.D.) (1995)
- Rouen University (LL.M.) (1985)
- Patrice Lumuba Peoples Friendship (LL.M.) (1979)