Aran is an employment lawyer with more than 12 years of experience. He is recognized as a "go to" lawyer for clients with APAC and Global multi-jurisdictional matters. He has unique experience leading large cross-border projects and is known for his practical, commercial approach.
Based in Singapore, Aran is registered to practice there, and also admitted to practice in New South Wales, Australia. He joined Baker McKenzie’s Employment team in Sydney in 2011. He has worked for Baker McKenzie's Global Employee & Benefits practice group in our Singapore, Sydney and Hong Kong offices assisting clients based in APAC, EMEA and the Americas.
Aran uses his strong ties throughout the Baker McKenzie global network, particularly in the Asia Pacific region, to provide stream-lined and practical advice to corporate clients on a range of employment issues.
Aran advises on all aspects of employment and industrial law, including executive employee issues, terminations, workplace investigations and legal compliance, with a particular focus on business mergers and acquisitions as well as employee transfer and change management issues in major transactional work.
Aran's experience on secondment, as APAC employment counsel for a social media company and as senior legal counsel for a major financial institution, has given him unique insight into the business environment in which HR, legal and management teams operate enabling him to give commercial and pragmatic advice. He also assists clients with employment-related claims targeting the early resolution of disputes on commercial terms.
Aran is an accomplished presenter and regularly delivers bespoke training programs to senior managers and legal teams on a range of employment law topics. He also acts for clients in sensitive workplace investigations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managing a high-volume global employment law retainer for a media and tech company.
- Advising a US-based software company regarding employment documents and employee benefits relating to its expansion into multiple new countries and markets.
- Providing global cross-border strategic advice to a leading consumer goods company in relation to its worldwide separation and spin-off.
- Advising a global financial services company in relation to post-acquisition rationalization including restructure and remuneration alignment throughout its Asia-Pacific operations.
- Assisting a global manufacturing company conduct an investigation into employee fraud, and obtaining preservation orders from the NSW Supreme Court.
- Advising the NSW Government in relation to the transition of State disability sector services to the new NDIS funding model arrangements, which will include transitioning some 14,000 employees to the non-government sector.
- Advising a State Owned Corporation in relation to an inquiry into employee contracting arrangements in conjunction with a retired High Court Judge.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Volunteer, Beyond Social Services, 2018
- Volunteer Mentor, ISCOS, 2017
- Volunteer Employment Law Solicitor, Inner City Legal Centre, 2008 – 2016
- Founding Committee Member, American Chamber of Commerce, NEXT: Network for Young Professionals 2012 - 2015
- Elected Councilor, Old Newingtonians Union, 2007 - 2015
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2010)
- New South Wales~Australia (2006)
- Singapore (Registered Foreign Lawyer)~Singapore
- University of Sydney (LLM) (2016)
- University of Sydney (BEc and Soc Sci / LLB Hons I) (2005)
- Hong Kong