Alexandra's practice is focused on international trade compliance, specifically trade sanctions, export controls, customs and anti-bribery and corruption. This varies from providing holistic advice on ad hoc compliance queries to conducting risk assessments, structuring and assisting with the implementation of corporate compliance programs, conducting internal investigations, assisting clients with disclosures, and advising on related reporting obligations. This experience enables her to consider relevant inbound and outbound trade compliance considerations as part of a broader supply chain strategy.
Alexandra advises clients (including numerous FTSE 100 businesses) from a broad range of sectors, such as aerospace and defence, FMCG, healthcare, oil and gas, energy services, and technology.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the UK arm of a major US aerospace and defence company on their customs and export control classification strategy for military items and successfully representing the client in an appeal to UK HM Revenue & Customs. Counseled the same client on the application of the UK’s trade controls and on their Brexit strategy.
- Counseled a US medical devices company on preparing for the impact of Brexit on its UK and EU operations, from a customs and product regulatory perspective.
- Conducted several risk assessments in the context of the UK’s corporate criminal offence of the failure to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion, and advised on enhancements to corporate compliance programs to mitigate the associated risks.
- Advised a FTSE 100 company in connection with an investigation into alleged impropriety by intermediaries in Asia, including regarding its reporting obligations to the UK Serious Fraud Office and the UK National Crime Agency.
- Represented a multinational software company in relation to an investigation by the UK National Crime Agency and the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation into alleged breaches of EU and UK financial sanctions in the Middle East.
- Advised a data privacy software company on the application of EU/UK export controls to its product portfolio, and assisted with creating and implementing an export controls and sanctions compliance program.
- Counseled a leading humanitarian organization on the potential application of sanctions against North Korea to their operations.
- Advised an US oil and gas services company on the impact of the EU's sanctions on Russia on various current and future projects in Russia, and assisted with obtaining licences for the same.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- College of Law at London (Bachelor of Law (LLB) – Graduate Diploma in Law and Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice) (2010)
- Durham University (BA in Modern Language (French, Italian and Spanish)) (2008)
Author, ‘Disclosure: a global approach’, The Export Compliance Manager’s Handbook, WorldECR, 2020
Founding member, Baker McKenzie Sanctions & Export Controls Update Blog
Author, ‘Key customs considerations arising from the Ukrainian crisis’, De Voil Indirect Tax Intelligence, 221 (24), 1 October 2014
Author, ‘Is a Mastectomy Bra an Orthopaedic Appliance for Tariff Classification Purposes?’, De Voil Indirect Tax Intelligence, 215 (54), 1 April 2014
Author, ‘Update on Reforms to the EU's Generalised System of Preferences’, De Voil Indirect Tax Intelligence, 206 (39), 17 July 2013