Christopher Aide heads Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Toronto. He has more than 20 years' experience advising on global trademark and design portfolio management, global brand protection, intellectual property enforcement, licensing and anti-counterfeiting matters. Christopher has co-authored and published the second volume of Markenvertragsrecht (Trademark Contracts Law), as well as numerous articles on various IP topics. He is also a speaker at a wide range of client and academic conferences and presentations. A partner in the Firm’s Toronto office, he has also worked for a number of years in Baker McKenzie’s Frankfurt practice. He is admitted to practice in Ontario (Canada), as well as in England and Wales. Christopher is listed as a Recognised Practitioner in the 2015 Chambers Global for Intellectual Property Law, is recognized by Legal 500 for Intellectual Property in 2014 and 2015, while The World Trademark Review says that he is "truly outstanding" and "the prototypical Baker partner - international, business-minded and exceptionally talented" in recognizing him in their 2013, 2014 and 2015 WTR 1000 rankings.
Christopher has worked extensively on matters relating to global trademark and design portfolio management, global brand protection, intellectual property enforcement and anti-counterfeiting matters. He also advises on worldwide corporate branding availability, Canadian and European Union trademark prosecutions and oppositions, domain name and Internet disputes, as well as licensing. Christopher regularly works with clients engaged in the consumer products, agricultural goods and IT industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Coordination of global and/or European trademark portfolios for various clients, including US-based global market leaders in the computer industry, a Canadian banking software multinational, a Canadian currency exchange business, a Nigerian oil distribution business, a Japanese multinational electronics company and a New Zealand-based multinational agricultural company.
- Major global re-branding projects, including for two world leaders in the consulting field, as well as a German multinational energy concern and subsequent global trademark filing work.
- Coordinating for Canada the trademark portfolio of an Anglo-Dutch multinational holding the largest trademark portfolio in the world.
- Coordinating a multinational anti-counterfeiting program for a well-know US-based computer, electronics and entertainment content company.
- Successful prosecution of ICANN domain name dispute proceedings before the World Intellectual Property Organization, including for a German facilities management multinational.
- Patent litigation support for a multibillion dollar legal action defending a Japanese multinational electronics company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Canadian German Lawyers Association
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Law Society of Ontario
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- Ontario~Canada (1992)
- University of Toronto (LL.B.) (1990)
- University of Toronto (B.A. Honours) (1985)