Samuel is recognized by Chambers Latin America and Latin Lawyer as a leading constitutional law practitioner. He focuses on constitutional law and human rights.
He has been a member of the Constitutional Reform Commission appointed by the Transition Government (2001), and has been part of the specialist team that prepared the Draft for the Code of Constitutional Procedure Code (2003). He was also the secretary general of the National Tribunal for Civil Service, coordinator of the Area for Democratic Institutions in the Andean Commission of Jurists, assistant on constitutional matters and first assistant to the public ombudsperson.
He is the author of many articles and essays on human rights, constitutional law, and constitutional procedural law and has published several books. He is a regular speaker at national and international seminars. Chambers & Partners calls him "a famous figure in constitutional law." Likewise, Latin Lawyer has expressed that he is an "excellent lawyer that [has] a very important experience in litigation," besides "experience in constitutional law."
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Special Commission for the Analysis and Review of the Resolutions
- Lima Bar Association - Judicial Decisions
- Peru (1988)
- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Doctor of Law) (1992)
- Centro de Estudios Constitucionales de Madrid (Diploma Constitutional Law and Political Sciences) (1991)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree) (1986)
Samuel has written more than a hundred articles on constitutional law, constitutional procedure and human rights, including:
- Co-author, "The Reform of the Protection Process. The Comparative Experience," Palestra, 2009
- Author, "Protection and Residual. The Introduced Changes and Their Jurisprudential Development," Gaceta Juridica, 2009
- Author, "The Constitutional Protection Proceeding," Gaceta Juridica, 2004 (1st ed.), 2008 (2nd ed.)
- Author, "Constitution and Constitutional Processes," Palestra, 2006 (2nd ed.), 2008 (3rd ed.), 2010 (4th ed.) and 2015 (5th ed.)
- Author, "Law of Constitutional Procedure," Gaceta Juridica, 2004
- Co-author, "Constitutional Procedure Code. Exposition of Motives," Palestra, 2004