Benjamín Torres-Barrón, lead partner of Baker McKenzie Mexico's Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Practice Group, was nominated and selected to join the global board of directors of the Association of International Energy Negotiators (AIEN, formerly AIPN), for the 2022-2023 term.
Torres-Barrón's appointment as a member of AIEN's global board of directors comes at a time when the relationship between the Firm and the Association of International Energy Negotiators is strengthening and envisioning further collaboration in the future.
The participation of the lead partner of the Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Practice Group will allow Baker McKenzie access to plan and conduct events and conferences to build close relationships with international players in the energy transition in Mexico, such as: Shell, Chevron, BP, ExxonMobil, Engie, ConocoPhillips, JAPEX, TOTAL, Ecopetrol, Hess and Equinor, among others.
AIEN's board of directors is selected by a special committee to develop activities for one year and is comprised of leaders from around the world in various practices such as mergers and acquisitions, business development, energy regulation and clean energy, to name a few.
As part of the relationship between Baker McKenzie and the AIEN, the Firm will encourage the joint participation of its partners to generate synergies between both entities. In this sense, some of the activities that will be promoted from this global relationship will be:
- Baker McKenzie partners will actively participate in national events on strategic issues such as energy transition and net zero.
- Baker McKenzie will help strengthen the relationship with new partners joining this group.
- The Firm will promote the participation of several partners as speakers at AIEN events.
Some of the Firm's activities at a local level will be:
- Benjamín Torres-Barrón's participation in the organization of the International Energy Summit, to be held during the month of September this year. In addition, he will chair the 2023 Summit and will actively participate in the AIEN World Council.
- Possible participation of a delegation of LatAm Projects partners in the International Energy Summit 2022, in London.
- He will moderate the Upstream Executives panel at IES London in September 2022.