Leading global law firm Baker McKenzie is proud to have worked on two project financing deals, which have won "Infrastructure Financing of the Year" and "Mining Financing of the Year" at LatinFinance's Project and Infrastructure Finance Awards on October 2021.
LatinFinance's Project and Infrastructure Finance Awards are the pre-eminent marker of excellence in the industry, determined by the publication's editors based on an exhaustive selection process.
The award-winning projects were:
Andes: Autopista del Norte
(Infrastructure Financing of the Year)
• Where we advised Autopista del Norte (AUNOR), a subsidiary of Aleática, with the Peruvian and New York legal aspects in connection with a USD 350 million financing for the construction works and completion of a Peruvian Road Financing, including Red Vial 4 and Vía de Evitamiento Chimbote in Peru.
• This stretch of highway along Peru's northern coast is in line for a major upgrade that will improve connectivity, boost productivity and help the country meet its goals to reduce greenhouse emissions.
• Partner Juan Carlos de los Heros from Estudio Echecopar, member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, led the Peru team with the support of senior associate Fernando Sam. Partner José A. Morán led the New York and Chicago teams with support from Juan Carlos Gonzalez on project finance and Karl Egbert and Brian Lee on derivatives.
Mantoverde Copper Mine
(Mining Financing of the Year)
• Where we advised Chilean miner Mantos Copper in obtaining a USD 847 million financing to expand its Mantoverde mine. The deal involved USD 571.6 million financing package from top-level banks and credit agencies, and a substantial capital injection from Japan's Mitsubishi Materials for the 30% stake of Mantoverde valued at USD 275 million.
• Mantos Copper will use the financing to upgrade its Mantoverde mine y in the northern Atacama region. The project will extend the lifetime of the mine until at least 2041, as well as increasing its output of copper and gold.
• Partners Antonio Ortúzar, Jaime Munro and Sebastián Vivanco led the different aspects of the scope of our work, with the support of associates Martín Müller, Cristóbal Larraín, José Ignacio Berner and Andrés Lecaros (all based in Santiago).
Baker McKenzie is a transactional powerhouse with over 2,500 deal lawyers and expertise in over 46 countries. The firm excels in cross-border deals, with over 60 percent of deals being multi-jurisdictional. We are global and local, combining money market sophistication with local excellence.