Leading global law firm Baker McKenzie served as lead counsel to Viasat, a global communications company, on the completed purchase of Euro Broadband Infrastructure Sàri ("EBI"), the wholesale broadband services business created as part of Viasat's former partnering arrangement with Eutelsat Communications.

Eutelsat initially owned 51% of EBI, and Viasat the remaining 49% interest. With the purchase of the 51% controlling interest in EBI for €140M, Viasat now gained 100% ownership of the KA-SAT satellite and related ground infrastructure, which provides satellite coverage over Europe and the Mediterranean region.

With complete ownership of these assets, Viasat will continue to diversify its business portfolio in Europe, while establishing operations, distribution and sales for its growing retail, enterprise, and mobility and government businesses—ahead of its Europe, Middle East and Africa-focused ViaSat-3 satellite.

The Baker McKenzie team was led by Alexander Fischer, Matthias Trautmann and Patricia Reichmuth, and included the following team members:

Zurich: Urs Zenhaeusern, Boris Wenger, Alexander Blaeser, Markus Wolf, Roger Thomi, Susanne Liebel-Kotz, Valentina Hirsiger, Corinne Nacht, Laurence Witschi, Beau Visser and Cathrin Marxer.

Amsterdam: Florian Fehres and Magalie Zindel.

Barcelona: Valeria Enrich and Anna Zaragoza.

Berlin: Alexander Ehrle.

Brussels: Dominique Maes, Geert Bovy, Olivier Van Baelen, Thomas Gernay, Lien Willems and Joost Vynckier.

Düsseldorf: Heiko Gotsche and Celina Anna Zaim.

Istanbul: Duygu Gultekin, Dilara Kesir and Sanem Elif Erkut.

London: James Adams, David Hart, Andrew Matheson and Naomi Inns.

Madrid: Rosemary Mafuz, Laura Gonzalez and Maria Angeles Caba.

Milan: Alberto Fornari, Ludovico Rusconi, Francesco Florenzano, Elisa Impala and Giuditta Lodesani.

Paris: Charles Baudoin, Guillaume Le Camus, Stephane Davin, Christian Blomet, Alain Sauty De Chalon, Guillaume Nataf, Damien Berruyer, Charlotte Genot, Karima Hanifi, Robin Gaulier, Sophie Caulliez and Sarah Belahcen.

Rome: Raffaele Giarda, Antonio Lattanzio, Jacopo Liotta and Daniele Pitrolo.

Washington: John Fedele
Explore Our Newsroom