Leading international law firm Baker McKenzie continues its winning streak in the Middle East, winning five awards across practices, offices and deals.
At the inaugural Asian Legal Business (ALB) Middle East Law Awards held on 31 March 2021, awards won include:
- "Arbitration Law Firm of the Year" for Baker McKenzie; and
- "Debt Market Deal of the Year" for Baker McKenzie’s leading role advising the Egyptian Government, acting through the Ministry of Finance, on the signing of a USD 2 billion syndicated financing transaction, which was the first sovereign debt that Egypt has raised from commercial lenders. Baker McKenzie’s cross-border team in Cairo and Dubai acted as local and international counsel to the Ministry of Finance respectively.
Furthermore, at the second edition of the Chambers & Partners Middle East Awards 2021 announced on 7 April 2021, awards won include:
- "Real Estate Law Firm of the Year in the UAE" for Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla;
- "Banking & Finance Law Firm of the Year in Egypt" for Helmy, Hamza & Partners, Baker McKenzie Cairo; and
- “Lifetime Achievement Award in Saudi Arabia” for George Sayen of Legal Advisors in association with Baker & McKenzie Limited. Formerly Co-Managing Partner of our associated offices in Riyadh and Jeddah, George has been involved in handling Saudi Arabian legal matters since 1987 and has resided full time in Riyadh since 1988. He is actively involved in advising both Saudi Arabian and foreign clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial and regulatory matters.
This string of accolades follows from our recent successes at the Islamic Finance News (IFN) Awards 2020, where the firm won “Deal of the Year in Egypt”, “Commodity Murabahah/ Tawarruq Deal of the Year”, “Deal of the Year in Saudi Arabia” and “Corporate Finance Deal of the Year”.
Hosted by Thomson Reuters, the inaugural ALB Middle East Law Awards recognize the excellence and outstanding achievements of law firms, in-house legal teams, top deals and dealmakers in the region.
Now in their second year, the Chambers & Partners Middle East Awards honor national and international law firms across the Middle East over the past 12 months, including their outstanding work, impressive strategic growth and excellence in client service.