Baker McKenzie and Legal Advisors, Abdulaziz Alajlan & Partners continue their winning streak in the Middle East, taking home three awards at the annual International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Middle East Awards in Dubai on 16 October 2019. IFLR is the market-leading financial law publication and recognises the most innovative deals, law firms and in-house teams in their annual Middle East awards. Awards won:
- “Equity Deal of the Year” for our work on the US$ 748 million IPO of Arabian Centres Company, the first IPO in Saudi Arabia with a full international offering and the largest IPO in the Kingdom in four years. The deal team comprised Robert Eastwood and Karim Nassar (Legal Advisors) and Adam Farlow and George Marshall (Baker McKenzie London).
- “Domestic Deal of the Year” acting as legal adviser to Alawwal Bank on its ground-breaking merger with The Saudi British Bank. It was the first of its kind in Saudi Arabia between two listed banks and with a deal value of approximately US$ 4.9 billion, one of the largest mergers of two Saudi listed companies. The deal team comprised Mohammad Al Rasheed and Karim Nassar (Legal Advisors) and Melanie Howard and Helen Bradley (Baker McKenzie London).
- “Equity Team of the Year” for our cross-border collaboration on innovative transactions and regional market-firsts in the international finance markets including the first fully international IPO of Arabian Centres Company.
Baker McKenzie and its associated firms were also shortlisted for International Law Firm of the Year; Saudi Arabia Law Firm of the Year (Legal Advisors, Baker McKenzie’s associated firm in Saudi Arabia); Egypt Law Firm of the Year (Helmy, Hamza & Partners, Baker McKenzie’s associated firm in Egypt); M&A Team of the Year; and Project Finance Deal of the Year for advising on the Dumat Al Jandal project.
“We are thrilled to have won three awards – IFLR Middle East Equity Deal of the Year, Equity Team of the Year and Domestic Deal of the Year – for our work on supporting Arabian Centres Company on its first fully international IPO and Alawwal Bank on its ground-breaking merger with The Saudi British Bank”, said Karim Nassar of the Corporate/Equity Capital Markets Group of Legal Advisors. “Achieving these important international milestones for our clients would not have been possible without the commitment and collaboration of both our Gulf and European colleagues.”
“These award-winning and market-leading transactions are testament to the transformative developments in the Kingdom,” added Mohammad Al Rasheed of the Corporate/M&A Group of Legal Advisors. “This strengthens our position as the law firm of choice for support on the most innovative domestic and cross-border transactions in the Middle East.”
Baker McKenzie and its associated firms in the Middle East have won a total of nine awards in the past 15 months, including:
- "Financial Services M&A Legal Adviser of the Year" and "Consumer M&A Legal Adviser of the Year" (Mergermarket Middle East M&A Awards 2019);
- "Corporate Team of the Year" and "Infrastructure and Energy Projects Team of the Year" (The Middle East Legal Awards 2019);
- “GCC Tax Firm of the Year” (International Tax Review European Awards); and
- “Legal Expertise: Enabling Business Growth and Transformation” award (Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Europe Awards 2019).