Leading global law firm Baker McKenzie has hired Peter Lu as a Partner and Head of the China Group in London, joining its fast-growing London Corporate practice. Peter joins the Firm on Monday from White & Case where he was head of their EMEA China desk and Counsel in their London M&A practice. His hire follows that of White & Case Capital Markets partners Rob Mathews and David Becker last month.
Peter will play a key role in driving the Firm's China strategy both in London and the EMEA region and will serve as Head of the China Group in London, working alongside London-based Private Equity partner William Holder and Thomas Gilles of Baker McKenzie's Frankfurt office
Commenting, Jane Hobson, head of Baker McKenzie's London Private M&A practice, said: "We've seen continued Chinese inbound investment into the UK and Europe over the past few years as Chinese investment priorities drastically shift. Peter's extensive knowledge and experience of Chinese inbound acquisitions will be of huge benefit to our client base and we're delighted to welcome him to the Firm. We also expect that our global footprint will be an excellent platform for Peter's clients as they look to expand globally."
London Managing Partner Alex Chadwick added: "Peter is an incredibly accomplished lawyer. His arrival, which follows Rob Mathews and David Becker's appointments, marks the continued expansion of our transactional practices in London where we are attracting top-tier talent, with plenty more hires still to come."
Peter, who is a native mandarin speaker, has focused his practice on representing public and private companies in cross-border M&A, restructurings and corporate governance. His clients include financial institutions and multinationals primarily headquartered in China but with a European presence.
Peter's appointment marks a continued period of transactional hires for the Firm in London:
- Rob Mathews from White & Case (Capital Markets)
- David Becker from White & Case (Capital Markets)
- Kathy Honeywood from Clifford Chance (Projects)
- David Duncan from Allen & Overy (Corporate / EMI)
- Melanie Howard from Clifford Chance (Corporate / M&A)
- Geoff O'Dea from Freshfields (Banking & Finance / Restructuring)
- Mathew Dening from Sidley Austin (Structured Capital Markets)
- Haden Henderson from Ropes & Gray (Capital Markets)
- Matthew Cox from Ropes & Gray (Leveraged and Acquisition Finance)
- Nick O'Grady from Ropes & Gray (Leveraged and Acquisition Finance)
- Bevis Metcalfe from Ropes & Gray (Banking & Finance / Restructurings)
- Michael Doran from White & Case (Structured Capital Markets)
- Megan Schellinger from Linklaters (Capital Markets)
- Matthew Smith from Travers Smith (Leveraged and Acquisition Finance)
- Alex Lewis from Ropes & Gray (Private Equity)
- William Holder from King & Wood Mallesons (Private Equity)
The Firm has also grown transactional partner and counsel headcount organically, including the 2018 promotions of Jeremy Levy (Structured Capital Markets), Richard Needham (M&A), and Charles Farnsworth (Capital Markets).