Baker McKenzie part of UK Government's Working Group on Product Recalls and Safety
Report published by Working Group today demonstrates progress on product safety
The UK Government's Working Group on Product Recalls and Safety, of which Baker McKenzie Partners John Leadley and Kate Corby are members, has today set out its recommendations for improving the UK’s product safety system.
The Working Group's recommendations include:
- setting up a central scientific and technical resource, to help support effective decision making of Government, businesses and enforcers, and co-ordinate national corrective action and recall programmes;
- working with the British Standards Institution to create a Code of Practice for businesses and regulators – informed by behavioural insights research – to set out best practice for undertaking and evaluating corrective action and recalls of products;
- improving the way accident and fire data is gathered and used to better understand risks; and
- establishing effective arrangements between trading standards and electrical goods manufacturers through Primary Authority, to strengthen compliance and recalls.
- The registration of appliances and other consumer goods with manufacturers by consumers should be encouraged to make corrective actions including recalls, more effective
Commenting on the report, Baker McKenzie partner Kate Corby said: "Today's report marks a step forward in terms of working to improve the certainty within and effectiveness of the UK's product safety and recall system for both consumers and manufacturers alike. We look forward to receiving the Government's response to the Group's recommendations in the Autumn and continuing our involvement in preparation of the Code of Practice."
The full report is available here. Established in October 2016 by Consumer Minister Margot James the Group, which comprises product and fire safety experts, was brought together to explore and build on the recommendations made by Lynn Faulds Wood in her independent review into consumer product recalls. The Government will formally respond to today's recommendations in the Autumn.
Baker McKenzie's Product Liability and Recall group helps companies around the world manage the legal obligations and risks related to the development, manufacture, use, safety, recovery and disposal of products. The team's multi-jurisdictional experience combines market knowledge with legal expertise to help clients manage product compliance and liability risk and take corrective action in a broad range of industries.