Expands Firm's expertise in commercial litigation, energy industry
C. Thomas "Tom" Kruse has joined Baker McKenzie's Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice as a Partner in Houston, bringing more than 25 years of experience handling trials, appeals and arbitration of complex commercial matters in high-value areas, including in the financial, energy, engineering and oil field services industries.
"Tom is a well-respected practitioner in his area who advises his clients with an appreciation for both the short- and long-term business implications of the matters he handles," said Mark Taylor, Chair of the Firm's North America Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice. "We're pleased to add such a skilled trial lawyer and strong advocate for clients to our team in Houston."
Tom joins Baker McKenzie from Baker Hostetler, where he led the firm's complex commercial litigation practice for 10 years. He has represented clients in a range of high-profile matters, including:
- Represented an oil field services company in an investigation and lawsuit involving oil field fraud and diversion of assets by insiders out of more than $72 million in sales in an ongoing matter.
- Argued a case before Texas Supreme Court on a $40 million construction contract for a multinational engineering and energy company for work on an electric power plant.
- Defended a major automobile manufacturer against the US Department of Justice seeking tens of millions in fines involving a dispute over cross-border trade matters, with a full dismissal of all claims.
- Defended an international energy and engineering company from a $45 million claim over a lawsuit, involving an electric power plant shutdown, for damages alleged on equipment repair and lost revenues.
- Obtained a dismissal of all claims over $30 million for an international engineering firm in a lawsuit involving the design and engineering of a major petrochemical plant in the US.
Tom, who is board certified in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, clerked for the Hon. Richard H. Hinojosa on the US District Court for the Southern District of Texas in 1989. He has authored numerous articles on litigation and trial matters, and he is a frequent speaker for continuing legal education seminars. Tom has also been recognized by Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, and in Texas "Super Lawyers," including a ranking in the Top 100 in Texas.
Baker McKenzie's litigation practice is one the most recognized and largest globally, with more than 850 litigators based in major financial centers and emerging markets worldwide. The team has extensive industry expertise, particularly in the international trade, oil and gas, construction, mining, TMT, cybersecurity, consumer products and retail, pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors.
"Tom is another great addition to the Firm as we continue to further strengthen our capabilities throughout North America to better serve our clients," said Colin Murray, the Firm's Managing Partner in North America. "We are pleased to add him to our talented team of litigators."
Baker McKenzie has added more than 40 lateral partners in North America over the last two years, as it continues to expand its presence in key markets and practice areas. Tom joining the Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice follows the arrival of international arbitration attorney J.P. Duffy, as well as several prominent attorneys with DOJ antitrust experience, including Creighton Macy, Craig Lee and Mark Hamer.
"Baker McKenzie's truly elite global platform will allow me to significantly expand the services I offer to clients," Tom said. "I look forward to working with the Firm's top-flight practitioners to deliver the best solutions for our clients when litigation is required."
Tom received his BA from Emory University and completed his JD from Vanderbilt University School of Law. He also spent a year at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland as a Bobby Jones Scholar.
The Firm has a long history of working with companies in Texas. The Houston office, which just celebrated its 20th anniversary, has approximately 65 lawyers and serves its clients on a full range of domestic and international legal issues in broad areas of expertise, including dispute resolution, employment, energy, intellectual property, international, securities, M&A and tax.