Baker McKenzie’s eighth annual analysis of Chinese outbound investment trends, conducted in partnership with Rhodium Group, details Mainland China’s movements in the ever-changing global market, driven by investors’ desires for broader market entry, strategic synergy, access to resources and new energy, and expansion of technology and product portfolios.
In the report, we explore:
- How global foreign direct investment (FDI) and mergers & acquisitions (M&A) have shown resilience following pandemic-related stressors and record-low activity in 2020
- 2021 trends in Chinese M&A and outbound FDI by region and sector
- A deep dive into Chinese FDI in Europe and North America
- 2022 trends in the areas of technology, entertainment, energy transition, electric vehicles, and more
- Three crucial perspectives that will dictate the pace of Chinese outbound investment
Zhang Hong is the head of private equity of Baker McKenzie FenXun, a joint operation established by Baker McKenzie in China and FenXun Partners, which was approved by the Shanghai Justice Bureau in 2015.
José Roberto Martins, Chair, Latin America Projects Practice Group & Partner, Trench Rossi Watanabe* (São Paulo) also contributed to this report.
*Trench Rossi Watanabe and Baker McKenzie have executed a strategic cooperation agreement for consulting on foreign law.