In this alert we provide you with an overview of the current situation in Slovakia as of 23 March 2020, as well as with answers to the most frequent questions that employers ask in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Q: What is the current situation in Slovakia?
On 11 March 2020, the government of the Slovak Republic declared a state of emergency in the territory of the Slovak Republic.
The most important adopted measures, effective as of 7 a.m. on 13 March 2020, were:
Closure of schools: All schools - kindergartens, primary schools, secondary schools and universities were closed as of Monday 16 March 2020 for at least 14 days.
Introducing border controls, restricted entry: People without a permanent or temporary residence in Slovakia, who are not able to present a confirmation of employment in Slovakia, are not allowed to enter Slovakia.
Mandatory quarantine at home: All people coming from abroad will have a mandatory quarantine for 14 days.
Closure of stores and service providers: With effect from 16 March 2020, as of 6:00 am, stores and all service providers were closed, with the exception of:
- grocery stores,
- pharmacies and dispensaries of medicinal devices,
- petrol stations,
- newspaper and print kiosks,
- shops with foodstuffs for animals, and veterinary practices,
- outlets for telecommunications operators,
- public catering operations and fast food establishments,
- post, bank and insurance offices,
- e-shop and home delivery services,
- cleaning and laundry services,
- auto repair services, towing services,
- taxi services for providing only transport of goods or deliveries (no passengers transportation is allowed),
- funeral services, cemetery services and crematoriums.