The Argentinian Data Protection Authority has issued a reminder of the legal and regulatory principles that apply when processing information about Coronavirus.
- Health data is sensitive data and requires stricter protection.
- Disclosure of the name of a patient suffering from Coronavirus requires consent.
- Using patient information for purposes incompatible with its medical treatment requires free and informed consent.
- Healthcare establishments and professionals can process and transfer patient data to each other, provided they comply with professional secrecy.
- Professional secrecy will persist even after the end of the relationship with the patient.
- The National Health Ministry and the provincial ministries are empowered to request, collect, transfer among themselves or to process in any manner health data without the consent of the patients, in accordance with the explicit and implicit powers conferred on them by law.
In their relations with employees, providers and clients, companies must take into account these principles in order not to breach the current regulation.