Recent developments Following the Prime Minister's issuance of Decision No. 391 approving the new Feed-in-Tariff (FiT) of onshore and offshore wind power projects in Vietnam, the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam (MOIT) has released a draft of a new Circular (Draft New Circular). 2 The Draft New Circular updates the guidelines on the development of wind power projects in Vietnam following current regulations set out under Circular No. 32 in 2012 and Circular No. 06 in 2013 of the MOIT. 3
The Draft New Circular provides updated guidelines for the development of wind power projects in Vietnam, which includes:
- Power development plans and the procedure for inclusion of a new wind project in the power development plans;
- Assessment of wind potential and the installation of meteorological mast (“met mast”) for wind measurement;
- Feasibility Study (FS) Report, basic design and technical and detailed designs;
- The process for testing, acceptance and commissioning of wind farms;
- Efficiency and technical standards specifications for wind farms;
- Land use limitations for wind farms;
- The process for negotiation and execution of a wind Power Purchase Agreement ("PPA") with EVN;
- Implications of operating wind farms; and
- An indication of future potential policies for wind farms in Vietnam.
1 Decision No. 39/2018/QD-TTg of the Prime Minister dated 10 September 2018 amending and
supplementing a number of articles of Decision No. 37/2011/QD-TTg of the Prime Minister
dated 29 June 2011 on the support mechanisms for development of wind power projects in
Vietnam ("Decision No. 39").
2 A copy of the Draft New Circular in Vietnamese can be obtained on the website of the MOIT at http://legal.moit.gov.vn/default.aspx?page=document_bill&do=detail&doc_id=906&rand=6367 66626016740863 (last accessed on 5 November 2018).
3 Circular No. 32/2012/TT-BCT of the MOIT dated 12 November 2012 on the procedure for development of wind power projects and model PPA for wind power projects; and Circular No. 06/2013/TT-BCT of the MOIT dated 8 March 2013 on the contents, order, procedure for preparation, appraisal and approval of wind power development plans.