Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are building a team to provide world-class innovative, creative and efficient business services to our Firm and clients. As an innovative hub connected with the Firm's offices globally, Baker McKenzie's Tampa Center will provide all aspects of business support for the Firm and its global clients in the areas of Alternative Legal Services, Finance, Technology, Knowledge, Operations, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, and People.
Our clients are facing more competition and challenges, which demands faster, commercially sound responses, more competitive prices, better quality, continuous innovation and higher levels of legal and business knowledge. The Tampa Center will help us continue to deliver precisely that, by centralizing many of our services in an appealing market.
The Legal Project Manager, Tampa Center Lead will help increase revenue, improve profitability and provide exceptional client service on our most complex matters through more effective Legal Project Management (LPM); accelerate our ability to deliver tangible financial and non-financial benefits on selected key matters in conjunction with the client team; and to develop, co-ordinate, and implement consistent best practice across our Firm. The role will support those regional matters where scope is difficult to define, where management to the agreed commercial terms is critical, and where there are a large number of practice areas, fee earners or jurisdictions involved.
The Legal Project Manager, Tampa Center Lead will support and enable client teams to better manage project scope and delivery, resulting in capturing out-of-scope revenue, minimizing write-offs, and improving overall matter efficiency.
- Provide support for specific client-facing projects
- Coordinate work effort, scoping, planning, fee monitoring, status reporting, liaising with client, tracking scope changes, liaising with specialist departments and offices world wide
- Planning and Set-Up:
- Prepare project plans and Gantt charts to support the client matter tea
- Scope Management:
- Provide support to the Principal/ Lead Associate in defining matter scope
- Track and help manage scope changes
- Status reporting and issue tracking:
- Ongoing monitoring of matter costs and fees
- Prepare client team and client status reports
- Provide timely updates to client team partners on potential issues identified
- Establish appropriate project IT infrastructure:
- Set up project platform(s) where appropriate
- Support other IT systems
- Support development of various pilot tools and systems
- Continuous Improvement:
- Identify improvements to work product, processes, tools and systems
- Introduce new working efficiencies where appropriate and coach team
- Support the post-matter review process for key matters
- Support the implementation of LPM tools and efficiency improvements
- Research practice area processes through discussions with fee earners for matter supported and identify key areas of improvement
- Identify themes of inefficiency and potential improvements in processes, tools and systems
- Support the development of improved processes, tools, templates and systems which may be implemented as part of the LPM methodologies
- Roll out improvements and solutions through specific attorney coaching and training sessions
- Identify and propose to Associate Directors of LPM or Associate Director of LPM Service Delivery any future needs and identified improvements to the LPM framework
- Work in close cooperation with Global Director of Legal Operations and Director of LPM to define, enhance and an integrated single set of project management standards, processes, methodologies and tools
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree (law or business degree preferred)
- Formal Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, PMP, or equivalent) desirable
- Significant experience in project management roles
- Experience working within law firms or other professional services firms (e.g. accounting, consulting)
- Knowledge of relevant IT packages: e.g. Document Management Systems, Project Extranets, Microsoft Project experience
- Previous experience of influencing or coaching within legal or professional services (e.g. accounting, consulting) environment desirable
- Experience of acting in a project executive/manager capacity on client facing, fee-earning legal projects preferred
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Proven ability and desire to work collaboratively with senior-level professionals to help them succeed in meeting their business development objectives
- Ability to work independently. Willingness to work hands-on to achieve objectives in a relatively “flat” organizational structure
- Ability to build relationships with and influence senior stakeholders
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in pulling, preparing reports, executive summaries and status reports for consumption by attorneys and clients
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel, and financial systems and reports
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.