The Business Development Manager, North America Litigation & Government Enforcement will play a leading role in developing and driving North America strategy in order to maximize client retention and growth for the Practice Group.
Working closely with the partners, the role is an integral part of the Practice Group’s Business Development team, focusing on business planning, monitoring progress against planned priorities, supporting client teams, client relationship management, client care reviews, new business proposals, improving the profile of the Practice Group and developing its strategy for major events, overview of submissions for directories, and overseeing the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the Practice Group.
- Business Development – Works with the Practice Group to identify new business opportunities. Works with other North America and global practice groups to develop new work and cross selling opportunities, and assists the Practice Group to develop and implement strategies to capture those opportunities
- Business Planning – Works with the Chair, Subgroup Leaders and members of Practice Group to identify and contribute to the formulation of a strategy for the Practice Group which is aligned with North America strategy
- Pitching to Win – In collaboration with the Proposals team, manages projects and drafts proposals, responses to requests for proposals, and other business development opportunities requiring targeted written responses, which are driven by a relationship partner in the Practice Group
- Firm Positioning and Events – The role is instrumental in setting the strategy for events undertaken by the Practice Group and monitoring their execution, including by the Global Meetings and Events Manager(s). Activities also include Firm meetings, events, sponsorships, and speaking engagements. Also develops and implements campaigns to strengthen the Practice Group's reputation in key markets as identified in the Practice Group's business plan.
- Business Development and Marketing Collateral – Works on the development and maintenance of marketing collateral for the Practice Group. Works with the Practice Group's Business Development team to collect matters for all practice sub-groups, updates practice group information, relevant capability statements, and any other relevant materials, including those appearing on the Firm’s external website
- Directories – Following the strategic direction set by the lead for North America Communications, develops communications for the Firm’s responses to directories, including assisting with and overseeing building relationships with key publications and directories, such as Chambers and Legal 500
- Profiling – Assesses other profile raising activities against the strategic objectives of the Practice Group and a cost/benefit analysis. This includes engaging in sponsorship and conference opportunities, memberships and associations. It also includes overseeing the publication of client alerts and newsletters
- Brand Management – Ensures the Firm's brand and that of the Practice Group is maintained. These activities include overseeing and ensuring intranet content is up-to-date and relevant
- Budget Management – Ensures that all business development initiatives are effectively coordinated to extract maximum return on investment. Develops business cases for budget requests based on business planning and is aware of the budget available from both North America and Global Business Development sources. Other duties as assigned to develop and drive North America strategy
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in marketing, communications, business, or related field. Advanced degree beneficial, but not required
- Strong experience in business development, marketing, or other relevant field preferably in legal or other professional services environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to lead, motivate and mentor
- Ability to readily comprehend business objectives and correspondingly develop and execute appropriate strategies
- Highly disciplined approach to developing and executing the programs to achieve Practice Group and Business Development team objectives
- Well-developed and sophisticated organization, communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to relate to and gain the confidence of people at all levels within an organization, as well as an ability to build strong relationships and work in a collaborative environment
- Organized, detail-oriented individual with strong project management skills, and ability to work on multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- High level of discretion, diplomacy and a commitment to maintaining the highest level of confidentiality
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong technical skills and familiarity with internet and web-based platforms