Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
This position will coordinate the In-Market operations and plans for the Practice Group, including supporting pitches and proposals, overseeing the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the Group, assisting in business planning, monitoring progress against planned priorities, evaluating ROI, and assisting with submissions for directories and awards. In coordination with senior BDMC team members, improve the profile of the Practice Group and support the Practice Group’s events, and provide support to develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability which enables the Practice Group to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
The role is results-oriented and designed to be instrumental in supporting the strategic objectives of the North America Office, BDMC, and the Practice Group. A primary focus of the position will be to assist in the expansion of work in the Practice Group from the Firm's existing client base, as well as to develop new opportunities from new clients.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Proposals – Provides assistance with the development of proposals, including: collecting relevant content such as practice area descriptions, representative matters, and client/matter information. Helps to quality assure and produce the final product.
- Client Relationship Management – Conducts client research, including research on Firm specific information such as billings, matters, and relevant timekeepers. Liaises and exchanges information with other practice groups targeting the same clients.
- Business Development and Marketing Collateral – Develops and maintains digital and hard copy marketing collateral. Collects client/matter information for all practice sub-groups, updates practice group information, relevant capability statements, rankings and awards, CVs and any other relevant materials, including those appearing on the Firm’s external website.
- Business Planning – Assists with the preparation of materials and conducts research to facilitate business planning. Tracks progress against the practice group business plan and in consultation with the BDMC senior management, proactively notifies and follows up with accountable partners as needed.
- Directories – Assists in in preparation of directory submissions, including collecting content and preparing a draft response of the Practice Group’s submission to directories, helping to build relationships with key publications and directories, such as Chambers and Legal 500. Tracks all rankings and awards, including the above directories.
- Media – Works in conjunction with the communications team to assist in identifying relevant content for social media channels. Works with attorneys to develop their own social media channels to promote the Firm and their practice, and tracking media mentions on behalf of the Practice Group.
- Profiling – Assesses other profile raising activities against the strategic objectives of the Practice Group and conducts a cost/benefit analysis. This includes engaging in sponsorship and conference opportunities, memberships and associations. Produces, distributes, and tracks client alerts and internal and external newsletters.
- Brand Management – Ensures the Firm's brand and that of the Practice Group is maintained. Coordinates with the Firm’s web support team to ensure website content is up to date and relevant.
- Firm Positioning and Events – Maintains the Practice Group’s mailing list. Works with the local office resource(s) to execute the Practice Group's client seminars, conferences, webinars, internal meetings, sponsorships/partnerships with outside organizations, and all other events in which Firm and Practice Group representation and participation are necessary.
- Budget Management – Works with the Practice Group's BDMC senior management to develop business cases for budget requests based on business planning and is aware of the budget available from both Regional and Global sources. Monitors Practice Group business development expenditures, develops and obtains necessary approval on all business development expenses from practice group managers.
- Practice Group Administration – Maintains Practice Group’s email distribution lists and calendar. Updates Practice Group intranet site with relevant material. Supports matter database collection and uploads.
- Other duties as assigned to develop and drive regional strategy.
- Flexibility to travel frequently to meetings and events and work long hours during peak training and meeting periods.
- Strong technical skills and familiarity with internet and web-based platforms
- Five or more years' experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in marketing, communications, marketing, business, or related field
- Well-developed and sophisticated organization, communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to relate to and gain the confidence of people at all levels within an organization, as well as an ability to build strong relationships and work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively coordinate competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to suggest well-reasoned independent recommendations and idea
- A good, developed practical understanding of marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- High degree of attention to detail
- High level of energy and persistence, and understanding of the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to internal and external clients