As Baker McKenzie continues to raise its profile in North America and globally, it is a priority for the Firm to proactively engage the global media based in the region, especially top-tier business publications.
This role is designed to be instrumental in achieving the Firm's profile raising objectives by developing strong relationships with key media outlets, and by working with practices across the Firm to develop messages, spokespeople and thought leadership that effectively communicates differentiators about the Firm.
The role requires a highly organized, proactive individual with excellent written and verbal communications skills, good project management skills, strong client service orientation, and an interest in commercial and business issues. We expect candidates for this role to have existing media relationships with business press, excellent content generation and interpersonal skills, and experience working as part of a global team.
Communications Planning and Development
- Recommend best approaches to achieve profile raising objectives, considering messages, audiences, outlets, content, spokespersons, and other factors
- Develop projects and creative initiatives to raise the Firm's profile and proactively engage media
- Support project, practice and Firm communications plans and execution
- Contribute to communications planning and support communications projects for the Firm's Global and North American Trade Practices and other practice groups
- Coordinate with and contribute to internal communications
- Proactively develop and maintain strong relationships with print, digital and broadcast media, especially at top-tier business publications, fostering a sustained level of profile raising opportunities
- Develop media contacts in support of Firm campaigns, including thought leadership projects
- Strengthen media relationships by serving as an accessible and familiar conduit to the Firm's local, regional and global expertise
- Coordinate with the Firm's global communications team on messaging and media opportunities, especially in support of profile for the Firm's practice and industry groups
- Develop and enhance media engagement best practices and materials
- Develop and refine key messages that align with Firm messages for use with the media and external communications
- Actively broadcast messages and develop audience working with marketing through social media channels
- Work with practices to develop pitches, profiles, story lines and content of interest to the media, making internal connections locally, regionally and globally
- Other duties as assigned to develop and drive effective global communications.
- Five to seven years of PR, media or communications experience in large and dynamic organizations, preferably in a financial services or professional services environment and with partners/senior executives
- Strong contacts with media, especially at top-tier business publications. High level of experience working with business reporters in a sustained, positive and proactive manner
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with integrated communications, including use of digital and social media
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Self-motivated, proactive and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision but also a strong team player
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others
- Organized, detailed oriented individual with good project management skills
- Strong client service orientation
- Ability to work longer hours and travel as required
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.