The Operations Administrator, Infrastructure will provide second and third line support for all global servers, storage, operating systems, virtualization and directory services systems. The Operations Administrator performs deployment, operations and maintenance activities for all global server and storage systems. This person will enforce standards, policies, and procedures related to the operation of all servers, storage and directory services systems in all locations.
- Tracks the Firm's Helpdesk System monitoring Server Systems tickets raised.
- Microsoft Server OS builds and Configuration (Hypervisor and Virtual Machines).
- Patching (MS Windows operating system).
- Take part in the global follow-the-sun support model.
- Occasional weekend activities assisting with, for example: Server and Storage installation / maintenance, and assist other teams with their weekend tasks.
- Provide 24x7 on-call support to offices on a rota basis with other members of the Server Systems Team. This is normally required at the weekend when standard Follow-the-Sun support does not operate.
- Provide level 3 assistance to other support teams on projects.
- Carry out installations, maintenance, configuration and support of servers and storage in the regional data centers, and office computer rooms (where applicable).
- Ensure server and storage systems' capacity is maintained at the appropriate level.
- Implement and maintain the Firm's Active Directory, operating systems and virtualization environments.
- Perform routine scheduled maintenance on all servers.
- Assist with hardware specification and purchasing for new servers and storage.
- Support consolidation of server hardware to reduce server and warranty costs.
- Ensure server polices and standards are defined, followed and maintained as they relate to hardware, software and security in accordance with the ISMS framework.
- Ensure all support incidents are tracked in the helpdesk system and worked through to resolution or escalated/re-assigned as necessary according to agreed SLAs.
- Systems maintenance, ensuring change control procedures are followed.
- Delivery of IT projects, including, but not limited to, system upgrades, migrations to alternative systems and installation of new technologies.
- Project or maintenance-related travel to data centers and other global offices will be required occasionally.
- Contribute to documentation (how-tos, procedures, FAQs, architectural diagrams etc), create and update documentation as and when required.
- Assists with training and mentoring of other team members to raise the technical skill level of the entire team.
- Ensure system error logs are reviewed, identifying and correcting any issues.
- Retain skills relevant to the position on an on-going basis through training (instructor-led and CBT as appropriate), and periodic review of technical journals, white papers, manuals etc.
- Ensure high quality communications to local office IT staff keeping them updated on the status of their incidents.
- Participates and contributes to regular conference calls/meetings with the Systems Operation Center team.
- Liaise with colleagues in technical teams, vendors, other third parties as necessary.
- B.Sc. / B.A. in Computer Science is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Support and maintenance of the global Active Directory infrastructure, including security and naming standards.
Proficient in design and support of the following products
- Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- Dell PowerEdge and HP ProLiant servers.
- SAN technologies, preferably NetApp, Pure, 3PAR.
- VMWare vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V and virtualization.
- vCenter and System Center Virtual Machine Manager.
- Active Directory technologies.
- DNS, DHCP.
- Automation and scripting technologies (PowerShell).
Familiarity with the following technologies
- Microsoft System Center products including SCVMM, SCCM and SCOM.
- Linux Operating System (CentOS, Ubuntu, Suse).
- Backup technologies (esp. Avamar, Data Domain).
- Hardware and Software lifecycles.
- Good experience with Microsoft Operating systems, supporting in a multi-site and multi-location architecture.
- Experience in very large enterprise environment with remote locations.
- Microsoft Certified Professional or other relevant recognized qualification.
- Responsible for keeping incidents within SLAs.
- Responsible for keeping the team / end users informed as to status of incidents and escalating when additional assistance is required.
- Responsible for working independently without direct supervision.
- Responsible for estimating and reporting time spent on activities.
- The Operations Administrator will have access and control of System and Application Service account credentials throughout the network enterprise, that cannot be divulged to individuals outside of GIS, Financial Management Systems the Systems Operation Center groups.
- Must be a team player.
- Must demonstrate initiative.
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills.
- Must be willing to travel domestically and internationally when requested.
- Critical features of this job are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.