Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional and Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are building a team to provide world-class innovative, creative and efficient business services to our Firm and clients. As an innovative hub connected with the Firm's offices globally, Baker McKenzie's Tampa Center will provide all aspects of business support for the Firm and its global clients in the areas of Alternative Legal Services, Finance, Technology, Knowledge, Operations, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, and People.
Our clients are facing more competition and challenges, which demands faster, commercially sound responses, more competitive prices, better quality, continuous innovation and higher levels of legal and business knowledge. The Tampa Center will help us continue to deliver precisely that, by centralizing many of our services in an appealing market. The Research Librarian Supervisor (Service Center) will manage the end-to-end Legal Research team and provide on-the-ground supervision of, and support for, the end-to-end Information Product Management (IPM) team as required; implement the Firm’s global I&R strategy and Research strategy; work with the Regional I&R Leads, in-market I&R Managers and Research Librarians, Country Knowledge Partner(s) and local Knowledge team(s); and act as the primary point of contact in the Tampa Center for I&R requests and enquiries.
- Develop new, and build upon existing strong, relationships with regional Knowledge Partners and Knowledge Lawyers, the Regional I&R Lead, the I&R Specialist functions (Information Product Management and Research) and with the rest of the Knowledge Services team in the Service Center(s)
- Ensure productive relationships based on the business, driving value through effective communication with stakeholders and key relationships
Knowledge and Expertise:
- Manage and lead the end-to-end legal research team in the Service Centre, and provide supervision and support to the end-to-end IPM team in the Service Center as required
- Understand and demonstrate the I&R services offered, promoting the role and functionality of the Firm's legal and/or business research services and information repositories and resources
- Ensure and facilitate timely access to relevant legal information, promoting appropriate resources to allow lawyers to provide high quality legal advice to clients; proactively promote legal, regulatory and related information and research to lawyers, BDMC and other users as appropriate
- Engage in and foster in others ongoing learning and professional accountability that cultivates communication and collaboration, encouraging immediate and long-term goals
- Assist with implementing the global I&R strategy, and the global Legal Research and Business Research strategies, guidelines and policies (as applicable), and work with the Research Lead and Legal and Business Research Managers to provide full I&R resource training support. Assist with developing and running online training plans and programmes for lawyers, BDMS and In-Market staff as required.
- Lead and coordinate the referral of In-Market research enquiries to the appropriate end-to-end service and respond to enquiries requiring In-Market expertise for research and information
- In line with the Research function best practice, initiate and make plans with internal local clients to understand their business focus and information needs
- Ensure industry thinking is applied when providing information and research, demonstrating extensive technical and professional knowledge relevant to the business
- Strong direction and day to day line management and supervision of end-to-end Legal Research staff (and IPM staff as required)
- Lead, encourage and supports participation in the adoption and use of Knowledge and I&R systems
- Oversee and/or participate in I&R projects as requested
- Be aware of and participate in Firm's and I&R group's goals. Set and align end-to-end team goals with those goals, manage resources, and evaluate use. Report on usage and advise on space management
Skills and Experience:
- Relevant undergraduate degree (e.g., library, research, data analysis, information management, or similar)
- Extensive relevant experience with good experience of Knowledge, information and research in professional services environment
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, build strong relationship virtually, communicate effectively, comfortable working in large, complex environment, highly credible and persuasive
- Strong people management and organizational skills; ability to prioritise and manage people's time to meet deadlines; experience in managing teams and people highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to drive results and sense of urgency in setting strategies and executing against the objectives
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders, strong collaboration skills and effective stakeholder management
- Strong communication skills, and highly credible presentation skills
- Comprehension of a diverse set of knowledge and information resources
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.