This is a unique opportunity to implement significant change, by focusing on client service and process innovation, to increase efficiency and improve the team's overall profitability.
This role is about demonstrating to clients operational cost effectiveness to improve delivery on fee estimates and alternative fee arrangements. This helps the lawyers as it provides client-facing project management skills while minimising lawyer time involved by helping to monitor and manage matters internally, and also looking at the effectiveness of internal processes. You will be working directly with clients (both domestic and international) on significant matters and liaising with our Global Services Office in Belfast, along with other overseas offices in the Baker McKenzie network.
You will need strong project management experience and an ability to be flexible in your approach to succeed in this role. Whilst the successful applicant will be working on legal matters, we are not looking for someone with a legal background. This is a legal project management role, working alongside lawyers who specialise in this area. We are open minded about background, but would welcome applicants who have gained experience within professional services (i.e., accountancy, consultancy or legal). Candidates will have a good track record of delivery of projects on time and to budget, challenging the status quo and taking on responsibility for making things work.
- Ensuring effective use of resources to manage the project to its pricing strategy
- Contributing to the development of and supporting team and peers in achieving team goals
- Involvement on specific (multi-jurisdictional) legal matters, which may include client contact, process coordination and refinement, and fee/scope management, management/coordination of other office resources
- Contributing to team's provision of status reports and collaborative IT sites, and resolving issues/troubleshooting where needed
- Internal consultancy - including continuous improvement projects, gathering learnings, analysis and knowhow, refining process and implementing change, advising on innovative use of IT for matters
- Acting as subject matter expert on a range of topics (including London/global processes, project planning, scoping, fee estimating and budget preparation, fee and scope management, status reporting, business needs relating to finance systems)
- Providing legal project management training needs as appropriate (including intranet materials, occasional departmental sessions, feeding into global project management training development, delivering training and partner coaching)
- Ensuring that new approaches to matters are embedded and that benefits are realised
Our Legal Project Management (LPM) function is now a key strategic offering to our clients. This is a result of our successful delivery model which offers a hybrid mixture of strategic and tactical project management support. We are investing more time considering the most efficient approach to matters with the project management team being involved at the earliest stages of planning.
While it is exciting times for legal project management at Baker McKenzie, we still have more we want to achieve, and that technology is moving fast providing more opportunities. To maintain our role as pioneers in real LPM, we are looking to bring in new talent to increase our reach across the firm and to increase the pace of this positive change.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010 - 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-2018: Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
No Agencies Please
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Key Skills and Experience Required:
- Experienced in delivery of large projects (ideally client-facing) and the gravitas to take a lead on the process aspects of projects
- Being willing and able to cover a wide range and level of tasks - from thinking strategically to troubleshooting detail where needed
- Focus on collaborative working and always on internal efficiency
- Diplomacy and rapport-building; encouraging innovation in context
- Ability to build relationships and sell the benefits of LPM, internally and externally
- Prince2 (or other standard) Project Management certification preferred
- Background in consultancy, professional service firms and/or legal practice management might be helpful
- Creative and pioneering thinking; being able to spot issues and implement solutions
- Real desire to implement change and personality to challenge status quo offer alternative approaches
- Willingness to build on/develop expertise in collaborative IT sites, and to oversee complex matter tracking spreadsheets (Excel required)
- Effective team coordinator and delegator
- Poise and patience under pressure; ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail very important and an approach that ensures that our internal team brand is highly regarded