To manage the strategic focus on the in-market operations of the Tax Practice Group (the group) in the London office. To coordinate the BDMCs functions office resources and develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability, which enables the Group in the London office to win, retain and grow business.
The successful candidate will be working side by side with partners and leadership to develop the growth plan for the Practice Group, ensuring that our marketing captures our unique value proposition, and identifying and prioritising the key client opportunities, marketing initiatives, and service lines of the Group. This also involves close collaboration with various other practices in the London offices as well as offices across EMEA to enhance cross-selling opportunities to promote the firms market leading Tax Practice. It is essential for the role holder to have a strong client focus and be focused on clients that will enhance revenue and profitability.
In addition, the role will manage a team of 5 (the Advisory Practice Groups BDMC Function which consists of 3 BD Managers and 2 Senior BD Executives) and liaise with multiple stakeholders across the firm to identify our competitive advantages and bring these to life in marketing materials, presentations and pitches.
We are looking for someone who can combine a strategic perspective with a hands-on approach to delivery. You will be good at spotting opportunities and mobilising resources to pursue them, bringing in support from the wider marketing and business community as appropriate.
We are looking for someone who has a broad mix of experience across the whole business development, marketing and communications skillset.
- To drive strategic, revenue and profitable BD activities for the London Tax Practice, and also work closely with colleagues and partners across EMEA+ and EMEA as required, to deliver on the Practice Group priorities across the region
- Develop the strategic growth plan for the Practice in London, including identifying key client opportunities, understanding the clients and building the marketing and communications campaigns as required, with a focus on priority revenue generating service lines / initiatives and key events
- Maintaining and developing the Firm's profile within tax sector, including a selection of sponsorship, trade body membership and in-house campaign initiatives
- Actively target clients to develop, including understanding the clients
- Act as the first point of contact for all strategic business development needs; proactively manage and prioritise BDMC practice group activities, and to develop the in-market profile
- Be an active an engaged member in client feedback meetings, to include but not limited to post matter feedback and review meetings
- Lead and develop the other members of the Advisory Practice Group BD team, ensuring that they have clear objectives and are delivering at the expected standard
- Build and maintain close working relationships with colleagues in Expert functions and End-to-End Services to ensure the practice groups are benefitting from best practice and latest thinking elsewhere in the Firm. Draw on the wider EMEA+ strategy to ensure the Tax Practice remains at the forefront of BD activities
- Work with relevant internal teams to deliver high-quality service on client proposals and contributing appropriately to cross-practice/office pitches
- Ensure the Firm captures the feedback, matter experience, client contacts and business development leads to enable the practice to promote itself effectively and to grow its business
- Lead and champion the use of social media from helping the tax team focus on content generation, to upskilling the group to regularly post and share our content
- Work with colleagues in Client Development and Industry Sectors to ensure lawyers are armed with information on latest trends and related hot topics/ talking points and use them to generate opportunities
- Regularly review pipeline of targets to ensure that opportunities are prioritised and targeting efforts focused on the greatest opportunities for developing profitable business
- Identify, prioritise and develop opportunities across our EMEA+ offices
This role will not require regular travel
About The Team
The Firm's BDMC function works side by side with our Partners and leadership teams to;
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
The Tax Department
The London Tax Group is one of the biggest success stories in Baker McKenzie. It has grown in under 6 years from a £9m practice with 35 fee earners to a £45m practice with over 70 fee earners – How? Mainly because it doesn’t do what other law firms do. It has the transactional tax support, tax disputes and wealth management services usually found within law firms, but then has large teams of VAT, Transfer Pricing and dedicated tax planning experts, meaning it can take on high end tax planning work usually performed by Big 4 Accountancy firms. It’s a unique team of lawyers, economists and accountants, what’s more, it’s a fun team and there are lots of exciting projects and opportunities to capitalise on – the Team Won, UK Tax Team of the Year 2021 at the ITR EMEA Awards (the main awards for the tax industry).
This role will report to the Director of BDMC, London.
The direct reports of this role are with the 3 BDMC Managers, 2 Senior BD Executives (though the Senior BD Executive is directly managed by the Employment BDMC Manager).
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- BDMC colleagues in expert, E2E functions
- Partners and lawyers
- Professional & Business Services (PBS) colleagues including Business Manager (Tax) and Knowledge Lawyer (Tax)
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree desirable/Masters or qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or other related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Experience in managing multiple BDMC professionals (at Manager level)
- Good experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with senior stakeholders and developing relationships with them
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Advanced understanding of strategic marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others
- High degree of attention to detail
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on +442070725752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.