To support the Financial Accountant in providing the compliance reporting for the London office; including financial statements, VAT, PAYE Settlement Agreement and partnership tax.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual financial statements of the service companies partnering with Global and Regional Finance
- Responsible for the preparation of corporation tax returns for the service companies
- Responsible for the preparation of the PAYE Settlement Agreement computations for the service companies
- Assistance with the preparation of the annual LLP financial statements and the Partnership Tax return
- Coordinate and oversee interfirm billing and settlement between the local office and BV
- Coordinate and oversee intrafirm billing and settlement between all local entities and reconciliation of intrafirm billing to the general ledgers of each entity
- Reconciliation of all intra-firm accounts
- Preparation of R185 tax forms for retired partners
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual surveys
- Maintain general ledger and balance sheet accuracy in conjunction with in-market accounting resources
- Oversee all GL to sub-ledger reconciliations fixed assets, VAT/GST filing support, Tax payment calculations, and inter-firm reconciliation
- Monitor ledger finalisation, journal entry adjustments, and balance sheet re-classifications
- Provide local management reporting for the office in relation to compliance issues.
- Provide support for internal/external audits as necessary.
- Assist with the developments of financial procedures and processes throughout the firm.
- Provide assistance to, and cover for, the Senior Payroll Manager with certain payroll functions
About The Team
The Finance function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Supporting strategic decision-making from a financial and business perspective
- Managing cash flow, including accounts payable, credit checks, billing and collections
- Ensuring firm-wide purchasing excellent and efficiency
- Financial reporting, budgets and forecasts
- Securing financing across the global firm
This role will report to the Associate Director - Business Reporting, Finance & Accounting.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Q2C & P2P teams at location
- In-Market Business Teams
- In-Market lawyers and management
About the Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Part or fully qualified Accountant with an appropriate recognised accounting body
- Experience in Finance Compliance in a professional services organization is preferred.
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders regarding finance processes, guidelines and compliances.
- Demonstrated expertise in operational efficiency and financial accounting. Strong in project management and systemic thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and take decisive, appropriate actions, especially in the case of exception requests.
- Ability to network and collaborate with teams both regional and global, while acknowledging their cultural, social and academic diversity.
- Working proficiency in using MS Office ( experience in excel macros preferable but not essential) and other Productivity Tools
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5t0h
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.