Our Banking Group is seeking a junior/mid-level Associate with a good real estate finance background to join their real estate finance sub-group within their banking and finance team. The broader banking and finance team currently comprises 9 partners, 1 of counsel, 1 professional support lawyer and 24 associates and trainees. Duties include:
- Advising clients on a mix of real estate finance related matters, real estate related special situations and also a wide range of non-real estate related matters including general banking work and leveraged finance, among other practice areas (with a particular focus on bilateral, club and syndicated loans, comprising term loans, revolving facilities, acquisition facilities, trade finance facilities and letter of credit facilities). Transactions in the team are mostly cross-border involving multiple jurisdictions but will also involve some UK focused transactions from time to time. Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work although there would be an expectation that, at least initially, a significant portion of work carried out would be real estate related.
- While this role is intended to support the real estate finance sub-group the role would not mean exclusive coverage of that practice area. Associates are encouraged to develop their own choice of specializations and to be proficient in at least two or more banking practice areas to be able to support the team's client demands.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
Real Estate Finance sits within the firm's broader Banking & Finance Practice serving our global client base.
Our Real Estate Finance team blends real estate, finance, corporate and tax expertise to create a fully coordinated service. We assist arrangers, financial institutions as well as borrowers including developers, funds, REITs, sponsors and other institutional investors with respect to complex domestic and cross-border property and portfolio financing transactions. Our ability to offer genuine cross-border in-depth expertise in the real estate finance world is what truly differentiates us from other firms.
We are able to advise financial institutions and other lenders, sponsors, borrowers and other corporate entities on all aspects of financing transactions – from origination, negotiation and documentation to closing. We also advise clients on enforcement situations, workouts and reorganisations and the full breadth of structured and capital markets offerings. As a firm, we are noted for our expertise in acquisition finance, securitisation, bank lending, financial regulatory work and project finance, especially advising on bespoke complex transactions and those involving emerging markets.
The London team are an integrated part of the Firm's Global Finance group of over 500 lawyers who cover the world's key financial money centres, many of whom are regularly featured in the top tier of rankings in both Legal 500 and Chambers for Banking and Finance. Some of these entries include:
Baker McKenzie LLP is "excellent at helping clients navigate through complex multi-region financing deals" - Legal 500 UK
Baker McKenzie LLP has "a top-class practice" - Legal 500 UK
"They have a lot of resources to provide a big team. They are always well organised, highlight the right topics and are always up to speed." - Chambers UK
"A great firm committed to a high standard of service to the client." - Chambers UK
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive. It is a great time to be joining the London LPM team. With a variety of backgrounds and personalities, there is a great ethos and mutual support in the team. We are making as much progress in aligning our processes as we are encouraging an entrepreneurial tailored approach to matters. The early groundwork required to educating the firm on the benefits of LPM is mostly complete, allowing the new LPMs to come in and pick up the trusted role of delivering on the process and many leadership aspects of matters. Internally and externally the LPM brand is very strong and there is a platform to bring solutions (tactical and broader innovation), different mindsets on approach, technology and commerciality and opportunity to shape the law firm of the future from the inside.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer on 020 7072 5772 or via email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academic credentials
- Current experience in the banking department of a leading City or US firm
- Experience in leveraged finance
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm