This is a mid-level Associate position, working within our flourishing Energy, Mining & Infrastructure (EMI) industry group.
We are seeking an experienced, technically excellent and ambitious corporate M&A lawyer with a proven record in the energy and resources sectors, who is looking for a challenging and rewarding new role within our London EMI group.
We pride ourselves in having a sizeable specialist team of 579 EMI practitioners worldwide. The team is an integral part of one of the world's largest and most active corporate practices, with over 1,300 lawyers operating across 77 global offices. The role will therefore work in collaboration with other corporate practitioners.
The role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on complex, strategic cross-border M&A and joint ventures in the energy and natural resources sectors.
- Delivering front-line support on deals, including drafting and negotiating transaction documentation, control of due diligence and disclosure exercises and closings, managing projects to a budget, and taking responsibility for client satisfaction.
- The ability to lead multi-party negotiations and successfully project manage relevant aspects of large-scale complex transactions.
- Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining in-depth knowledge of each client's businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work principally through (a) peer-to-peer relationship building within clients and intermediaries and (b) involvement in our key industry sector activities.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
- The role is based in London, however the candidate will be involved in transactions throughout the world as part of our global EMI team.
Our fast-growing EMI group currently comprises 9 Partners and 19 Associates. The team has enjoyed a string of recent high-profile successes, including panel appointments to several FTSE 100 energy and resources companies.
The EMI group forms a core part of the wider London Corporate department, which is the largest within the office and sits at the heart of the firm's business. The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
Alongside EMI the department has industry expertise in healthcare, consumer, technology, financial institutions, and industrials. The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals, and with 1,300 M&A lawyers in 77 offices globally, we have one of the largest and most active M&A practices in the world. Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- The African Legal Awards Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Team of the Year
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
- FT Innovative Lawyers Report 2016: Ranked Among the Most Innovative Firms in Europe.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or email@example.com
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- Excellent academics credentials.
- Current experience in the corporate department of a leading City or US firm, with experience in the energy and natural resources sectors.
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department.
- The ability to confidently demonstrate a strong understanding of the law and how it affects our corporate clients, alongside good commercial awareness of how their businesses operate.
- Demonstrable business development experience, including the ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for these relationships.
- Outstanding communication and drafting skills and the ability to adapt style as required.
- Initiative and proactivity.
- Sufficient maturity and gravitas to instill confidence and project credibility in an increasingly sophisticated, segmented and competitive market for legal services.
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture.
- High work standards.
- Flexible work practices.
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
- A keenness to continue learning.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.