To provide administrative support to the London Talent team. The HR Coordinator will work closely with the HR Officers and HR Business Partners (HRBPs) to build and develop relationships within the business and to collectively deliver an excellent level of operational client service. Working collaboratively with their Talent team colleagues, the wider People team, and business support functions, the HR Coordinator will provide a responsive, commercial, and solutions-focused approach to their client groups.
The role will form part of a team of one Director of Talent, two Senior HRBPs, three HRBPs, one Senior HR Officer, three HR Officers (including one job share,) and one HR Coordinator.
The role provides a great opportunity for a candidate keen to work within a truly global law firm. We are looking for a tech-savvy individual who possesses strong interpersonal and organizational skills. The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude and a genuine interest in working with HR systems. Relevant training and support will be provided to the successful candidate.
HR Administration, Workforce Planning and Reporting
- Updating and actioning the administrative actions within the team's staff movement tracker. This includes following up with managers in respect of key dates eg probation end dates, fixed-term contract end dates, flexible working trial period review dates, and visa expiration dates
- Preparation of monthly payroll instructions
- Supporting the HR Officers with the preparation of probation, contract variation, new parent leave, secondment, and sabbatical letters
- Carrying out right-to-work checks
- Sending welcome emails to new joiners
- Organising the sending of IT equipment to new joiners
- Organising/liaising with the new joiners' buddies
- Processing of flexible working applications
- Preparation of reference letters (e.g. confirming employment details for current or past employees for future employment, visa, tenancy, or mortgage applications)
- Scheduling new joiner, new parent leave, and exit interview meetings
- Calculating and confirming final holiday entitlements and sending out leaver emails
- Minute (note) taking in formal disciplinary, capability, or consultation meetings
- Invoice coding and processing
- Updating the internal People Bulletin
- Preparation of ad hoc reports including analysis of feedback from new joiner catch-ups, exit interviews, and returner check-ins.
People Data Management
- Prompt and accurate HR system management of SAP and PeopleSoft
- Creation of new hires' records on SAP, PeopleSoft, and Payroll systems for all secondees and new hires
- Termination of records on SAP, PeopleSoft, and Payroll systems as part of the employee leaver process
- Updating other employee changes (e.g. department transfers, salary/hours changes, unpaid leave sabbatical, new parent leave, and client secondments) on SAP, PeopleSoft, and Payroll systems
- Working with the global systems team to ensure SAP is updated with any changes to employment/ personal details
- Administer updates to policies/templates/iManage folders
- Assist with basic queries from employees with support from the relevant HR Officer or HR Business Partner
- Assist in the coordination of the annual evaluation process including fielding employee queries
- Reporting and maintaining the evaluation site
- Carry out any other coordination tasks that are necessary including administration support on projects
- Scheduling team meetings
- Participation in the ongoing review of administration processes and practices to ensure successful implementation of recommendations both in the UK and in Manila
- Recommending process improvements on any administrative procedures that could be made more efficient
- Collaborating with other parts of the People team to align their work and deliver a seamless service
- Providing backup support to others within the People team, based both in London and Manila, during periods of absence or workload peaks
- Carrying out any other coordination tasks that are necessary including administration support on projects and other areas of focus for the HRBP and wider People team
About The Team
The Firm's People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting, and developing all of the Firm's people, including our Partners, Lawyers, and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm's leadership to design and deliver the Firm's people strategy, building on the Firm's core commitments to collaboration, excellence, and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Inclusion & Diversity
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance
- Partner Services
- Total Rewards
This role reports to the HR Business Partner.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Department Managers, Partners, legal staff, and Professional Business Services staff
- EMEA+ Talent Team
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- High volume administration experience, ideally gained in a law firm or professional services firm
- Highly organized with a strong delivery focus and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to plan, schedule and manage own activities to accomplish objectives
- A can-do attitude and willingness to get involved
- A flexible approach and willingness to adapt to meet current and future business needs
- Good verbal, written, and numerical skills
- Ability to build rapport with internal clients and HR colleagues
- Ability to understand and interpret the Firm's HR policies and processes
- Collaborative approach, effectively working with others to achieve team success
- Trusted to maintain confidentiality and operate discretely at all times
- Good IT knowledge, including MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) and experience with HR systems such as PeopleSoft and/or SAP
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Refinitiv (formerly Thomson Reuters) ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 15 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2022.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Received a Gold Award on Stonewall's 2022 Global Workplace Equality Index of Top Global Employers for LGBTQ+ people
- Ranked as one of the Top 10 Employers in the 2022 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- In 2022, we won Career Development International Firm, Diverse Women Lawyers International Firm, Work-Life Balance International Firm, Innovative International Firm of the Year and Women in Business International law firm (WIBL Asia).
- Baker McKenzie has been awarded "Women in Business Law Firm of the Year" and "Career Development Firm of the Year" at the inaugural Euromoney Women in Business Law Global Awards 2022.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.