The successful candidate will provide general day to day administration and co-ordination support across all teams, as well as have the opportunity to take ownership on key projects. The successful candidate will also rotate across the various sub-teams to get a full understanding of the HR & Development (HR&D) department and responsibilities.
We are looking for an individual who not only has strong interpersonal skills, but possesses great organisational and planning skills, with the ability to ensure work is delivered under pressure. It is highly desirable that applicants have a genuine interest in HR, a can-do attitude and a willingness to get involved in all aspects of support and administration.
The role provides a great opportunity for the right candidate to gain fantastic exposure across all areas of HR&D. The role involves a rotation between the different teams (see below), providing the unique opportunity to ensure you gain the greatest exposure to learn from the top specialists in their fields.
The internship will support the HR&D department and the various teams in the HR&D department and the work will therefore be varied and may change over the course of the placement. However, the type of responsibilities that it might entail include:
Talent Management (HR Business Partnering Team)
Working as part of the HR generalist team, the role will provide daily ad-hoc support to the HR Officers and HR Business Partners for different legal practice groups and support departments. The HRBP team provides key HR support to the business across areas including employee relations, evaluations and salary review process, exit interviews, management reporting, the Associate Training Programme (our global secondment process), client secondments and project work.
The intern can expect to provide general support to these processes, including back-up support to the HR Coordinator in: updating relevant systems, producing payroll forms and supporting correspondence for employee changes, processing leavers, scheduling new joiner and exit interviews, producing references and letters, and tracking maternity, probation and client secondment/ATP dates; filing and archiving.
The intern will also have the opportunity to act as note-taker in formal disciplinary, capability or consultation meetings that may arise over the period of the internship. Furthermore, the intern will play a key role during the evaluation season and assist the team with back door administration for our online learning management system, BakerAchieve.
The Recruitment team includes both the Experienced Hire team and the Graduate Recruitment and Development team. The team is responsible for hiring across all levels, from Trainees to Partner level recruitment. The intern can expect to provide general support to the Graduate Recruitment team, including coordinating the logistics for campus events (i.e. booking travel, managing the materials), managing invoices, shortlisting candidates, assisting with Assessment Centres and even representing the Firm at various graduate events, such as law balls, dinners and networking events.
Whilst working with the Experienced Hire team, the intern will assist with scheduling interviews for all levels of the Firm, preparing candidate briefing packs, liaising with agencies, setting up agency briefings, managing our online candidate portal, creating job descriptions and advertising new vacancies appropriately; through agencies or external sites such as LinkedIn. You will also be involved in attending internal meetings regarding vacancies and working on various recruitment related projects.
Careers, Performance & Reward (ER / Reward Team)
The Reward & ER team provides professional support for employee relations and policy, HR systems and management information along with all reward, benefits and compensation related activity. The intern can expect to be involved in things such as, assisting in keeping the HR intranet up to date and making changes, assisting the Reward and Benefits Officer and the ER & Systems Officer on daily tasks, producing MI and HR management information reports, providing admin support for the salary review process.
Diversity, Inclusion & CSR
Working as part of the Inclusion & CSR team, the intern will support the Senior Inclusion & Diversity Manager, CSR Manager, Pro Bono Associate, and Inclusion & Diversity Officer to deliver against the firm's ambitious Diversity, Inclusion & CSR strategy. The intern will provide support across all day to day activity within the function and across a number of employee groups, tasks will include administrative support, coordinating events and work placements, producing communications, updating intranet pages, analysing data, supporting the delivery of key UK benchmarking activity as well as having the opportunity to lead on a number of key projects.
Leadership & Learning
Working as part of the L&L team, the intern will be involved in tasks such as collating feedback from our trainee population to be placed in to reports for the relevant Training Partner (pulling out comments that will influence the next programme), assisting in the scheduling and liaison around key L&L sessions, sending out invitations to delegates, attending L&L sessions, book training rooms, provide support on the Induction programme.
About The Team
The People Function (Human Resources & Development) in London consists of the following teams:
- Talent Management
- Diversity & CSR
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers, Performance and Reward
- Recruitment & Mobility
Your key relationships are with the following:
- HR Director
- HR Business Partners & Officers
- Senior Inclusion & Diversity Manager
- Inclusion & Diversity Officer
- Senior Learning & Development Manager
- Senior Learning & Development Officer
- Recruitment Manager
- Recruitment Officer
- Graduate Recruitment & Development Officers
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5731 or Email
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
We are looking for a graduate (in HR or similar) who is willing with a flexible attitude and who displays:
- Attention to detail: Quality and excellence are the foundations of our fluency; each of us is responsible for achieving uncompromisingly high standards in the service levels we provide and able to understand things from our internal clients' perspective
- Strong Interpersonal Skills: Strong communicator, able to interact with team members and client contacts with confidence; able to listen effectively to truly understand needs and drivers of the business
- Communication & Presentation skills: Solid verbal communications; excellent written and report writing skills; must be able to communicate in English to advanced standard in both written and verbal work
- Analysis and Insight: Good research skills; strong analytical thinking and ability; able to extrapolate key data and findings and then summarise for general presentation
- Organisation and Planning: Manages own workload to ensure work is completed in time and a quality service is delivered even when under pressure; prioritise tasks based on their importance and urgency; communicates to internal clients any delays in work or areas of clarification before work is due for completion
- Team work and Flexibility: Works harmoniously with different teams across the department and wider Firm; proactively looks to support colleagues during times of heavy workload; shares information with colleagues relevant to their job; takes on new tasks as required and demonstrates flexibility and willingness to adapt to change
- In addition to the above, strong IT skills in Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Word and Excel would be an advantage
- Diversity and Inclusion: Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion