Our China Practice in London is advising on large scale, complex cross-border corporate transactions for Asian clients, and multinationals in the West. The China Practice in London is dedicated to providing advice and expertise at the highest levels and to achieving extraordinary results for our clients.
We are currently seeking talented, ambitious, motivated and committed corporate lawyers, with at least 4 years PQE in order to maintain our record of excellence. Our associates, trainees and paralegals are critical to this mission. As the Practice is fast growing, the prospects of career promotion are promising for the right candidate.
Work extremely closely with the Partner leading the China Practice in London, this role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Front-line management of deals, including drafting, negotiating, control of due diligence and closings, managing projects to a budget, and taking responsibility for client satisfaction.
- General corporate advisory work to provide continuing relationships with clients.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the Firm and seeking opportunities for new work principally through (a) supporting the relevant Partner leading the Chine Practice in London (b) peer-to-peer relationship building within clients and intermediaries (c) involvement in our Key industry sector activities.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior and mid-level lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. We also have a US securities practice within the team. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer Goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
This position will be within the M&A team. The Associate will primarily support our leading China Practice in London.
The emphasis is on developing well rounded, commercially aware, relationship-focused lawyers, who are interested in a long-term career in a global law firm.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with top academics credentials
- Current international and UK M&A experience in the corporate department of a leading City or US firm
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the practice
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.