To support business operations for the Tax Practice Group in EMEA+ with the aim of driving and enhancing practice performance in line with the global practice strategy and the overall strategy of the Firm.
EMEA+ is one of the Firm's core business units, comprising Belgium, the Gulf (Riyadh, Bahrain, Jeddah, Doha), Spain, The Netherlands, South Africa, Sweden and the UK. As of July 1, 2018 those offices came together into a single financial unit, with a collective business plan and cohesive, central leadership.
- Support EMEA+ Senior Business Manager and Practice Group Leaders on strategic, business and operational related topics
- Support the development of, update and monitor the business plan of the practice and help develop and manage budget proactively to ensure effective implementation of the Firm strategy
- Drive improvements of operational and financial performance by monitoring and analysing key performance indicators at practice and service line level, ensuring alignment with planned targets (including cost management, working capital, staffing and margin contribution)
- Ensure cross-practice and cross-functional initiatives implementation at Practice Group level and coordinate resources from other Professional & Business Services (PBS) functions supporting the same Practice Group to ensure proper coverage and effective strategy execution
- Capture efficiency and innovation opportunities for the main service lines by leading and participating in initiatives, aligned within the global practice and with other practice groups
- Support appropriate resourcing, headcount planning, staffing, and talent pipeline leveraging support from, and in coordination with, other PBS functions
- Support interactions with Industry Groups making sure that go-to-market and service delivery is appropriate for clients in those sectors
- Monitor and ensure effective implementation of client and business development plans leveraging support from other PBS functions
- Coordinate internal practice group engagement activities and meetings fostering positive and open communication
- Leverage services provided by the Firm's shared Service Centers and specialist functions within the PBS organization to drive excellence and efficiency
- Lead and participate in projects for the practice and EMEA+
This role requires travel mainly within EMEA+ to join in-person Practice Group meetings, Steering Committee meetings, eventually some of the regional meetings and eventually other internal and external events related to the Practice Group.
About The Team
The Firm's Services function works closely with our Partners and fee-earners to deliver comprehensive, high quality and high value services to our clients. It is geared towards improving operational and financial performance, and constantly rethinking the services we offer, as well as developing new innovative solutions and platforms. The core teams within Services are:
- Business Management
- Legal Operations
- Pricing Excellence
- Legal Project Management
- Global eDiscovery and Data Advisory
- Service Design
- Alternative Legal Services
The Business Management team:
- Works together with Practice Group leaders and steering committees to develop strategy and manage business operations
- Ensures cross practice, cross-industry and cross-functional alignment, to achieve proper coverage and effective strategy execution
- Drives improvement of operational and financial performance, identifying opportunities to enhance the service offering
This role will be reporting directly to the Senior Business Manager, EMEA+ Tax Practice Group.
- Tax Practice Group Leader
- Business Managers covering other Practice Groups in EMEA+
- Business Managers covering the same Practice Group in this and other regions
- Director of Practice Management covering the same Practice Group
- In-Market business partners from other PBS functions providing support to the same Practice Group
- Specialist functions and Centers within PBS
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2018 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2019: currently ranked 10th
- The Lawyer: The Global 200 2018: ranked 4th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18:Five awards:
- Best International Firm for Women in Business Law
- Most Innovative International Firm
- Best International Firm for Talent Management
- Best in UK
- Beatriz Araújo won Best in Corporate Governance
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or Email
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in a related discipline; an MBA is strongly preferred
- Significant professional management experience in a global setting, ideally in a professional services environment
- Proficiency in law firm operations, legal accounting and finance
- Proficiency in using MS Office applications, including PowerPoint and advanced functions of Excel
- Understanding of the elements of law firm profitability at practice group, service line, client, matter and attorney level
- Strong business sense and good judgment in problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective communication at all organizational levels
- Experience with business management, including an understanding of the challenges of operating in different markets regionally
- Ability to manage multiple complex operations with continual attention to detail (including accuracy with numbers)
- Experience conducting complex qualitative and quantitative analysis, interpreting results and suggesting action plans
- Experience coordinating people in different locations and cultures
- Ability to work effectively in informal teams and collaborate cross-practice and cross-function in a global organisation
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstratesthe ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion