To deliver the In-Market operations and plans of the Transactional Practice Groups in London, co-ordinate the BDMC function's office resources and develop a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability which enables the Transactional Practice Groups in London to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
- Ensure the execution of BDMC plans for the Transactional Practice Groups in London, bringing in BDMC Expert and End-to-End functions as required
- Work with Partners and fee earners to ensure their BDMC requirements are captured, processed and communicated to other parts of the BDMC function to a high standard; collaborate with Expert functions to challenge requests where commercially prudent, e.g. pitch go/no-go decisions
- Deliver high quality BDMC support to the Transactional Practice Groups in London by integrating contributions from Expert functions and End-to-End Services with their own work. This spans all aspects of the BD and Marketing mix including: developing client or sector opportunities, deploying marketing and communications campaigns, promoting our service lines, and delivering events and seminars
- Ensure that content and materials suitable for BDMC purposes (e.g. key experience details, deals, landmark projects) are captured from Partners and fee earners and shared, e.g. deals, credentials, CRM related information
Travel requirements This role does not require travel
About the Team
Function The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
You will report to Senior Business Development Manager, Transactional Practice Groups, London
Your direct reports, if any None
- Line management
- BDMC colleagues in Expert and E2E functions
- Partners and Lawyers
- Professional & Business Services (PBS) colleagues
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or email.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
About the candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience ? Bachelor’s degree desirable; Masters or qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or other related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Demonstrable experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with stakeholders and developing relationships with them
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively co-ordinate competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to suggest well-reasoned independent recommendations and ideas
- A good, developed practical understanding of marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to collaborate with others
- High degree of attention to detail
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion