The Real Estate team is an integral part of Baker McKenzie's London Office and has been involved in some of the Firm's largest most high profile deals in recent years such as the sale of the Gherkin, the refinancing of the Battersea Power Station development, the acquisition of Green Park, Reading - the largest single asset investment transaction in 2016 and, in December 2020, we acted for ICG Properties on the UK’s largest-ever single-occupier logistics deal, a 2.94m sq ft global parts logistics centre for Jaguar Land Rover at Mercia Park in Leicestershire.
The achievements of the Real Estate team have been recognised externally with the Department being short listed for "Real Estate Team of the Year" in the 2015 Legal Business Awards. The Firm has also been ranked 1st for Legal Services - Global in the Euromoney Real Estate Awards for the 10th year in a row (2009 - 2018). The London Real Estate team works closely and regularly with the Regional and Global Real Estate practices of the Firm which boasts more than 500 real estate professionals around the world. The work of the London Real Estate team is varied, of high-value and often international in nature.
Our Real Estate department advises on a wide range of property matters specialising in the areas of:
- High value investment acquisitions;
- Corporate headquarter leasing;
- Real estate financings;
- Hotels and leisure sector transactions;
- Planning and sustainability matters;
- Development projects;
- Retail (luxury goods) leases;
- General landlord and tenant matters;
- Real estate input into M&A transactions
The department acts for a diverse range of high profile clients in the corporate and financial arena and its primary client base comprises multinational corporates, foreign investment, financial institutions and private equity houses across a wide range of sectors, including technology, media, telecoms, energy, mining, oil and gas, chemicals, construction, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
In recent years, within the department, there has been a particular focus on international inbound investment into London and the UK in addition to their usual work for the Firm's international clients. The team is mid-size and works as a cohesive team with specialist lawyers in other departments particularly tax, funds and corporate, in both the London office and globally. The team combines an extremely high level of real estate expertise that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice. The successful candidate would be working within this supportive and collegiate environment.
We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented mid-senior Associate, looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. Interested applicants should be able to demonstrate exemplary technical skills and relish the opportunity to join a truly unique and successful global real estate team.
The role will involve:
- Advising and supporting leading multi-national corporates with their occupational requirements in the UK
- Advising overseas investors with UK real estate investment acquisitions and disposals
- Working closely with the London office Banking team to support real estate finance transactions
- Working closely with London office Corporate team in the coordination and implementation of multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academics
- Substantial experience of commercial real estate gained within an international or city law firm
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- English or common law real estate experience
- Experience of complex real estate transactions
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn - the right candidate will want to continue to develop their key competencies and skills
- Strong service orientation, with good client management skills
- Flexible work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to work within a team
- Open and co-operative attitude with professional outlook
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.