We are seeking a passionate Junior Tax Associate to join the Belgian Tax practice with ideally up to two years' experience; graduates with an interest in Tax law are also welcome to apply.
The Junior Tax Associate will work on corporate income tax files and cover, amongst others, the following:
- Advising on (international) corporate tax matters in high profile files
- Tax assistance to clients in corporate reorganisations (mergers, (partial) de-mergers, etc.), M&A and real estate transactions, including obtaining of tax rulings.
- Advising on application of EU Directives, Double Tax Treaties, etc.
- Working together with the broader tax team on complex files.
- Assistance in tax dispute resolution files.
The Belgian tax practice of Baker McKenzie consists of 10 practitioners and is led by Géry Bombeke. The team covers a broad range of tax areas, including transfer pricing and wealth management, with dedicated practitioners for indirect taxes and HR related tax matters, and covering both an advisory and litigation practice. The team also has economist capabilities.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- Strong academic track record
- A strong interest in Tax law
- Some relevant experience within the tax department of a well reputed law firm or Big 4
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Dutch or French native with excellent knowledge of respectively French or Dutch and excellent knowledge of English
- Strong drive and learning curve to take lead on files
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- Ability to work well both in a team and individually
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet, big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
Baker McKenzie opened its first Belgian office in Brussels in 1957. In 2002, it opened its Antwerp office. Today, Baker McKenzie Belgium has more than 80 qualified lawyers across the two offices
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Named Acritas' World's Strongest Law Firm Brand for 11 consecutive years and were named Global Law Firm of the Year in Europe at the Lawyer European Awards 2020.
- Ranked as one of the Stonewall Top Global Employer for 2020, reflecting our commitment to our progressive values and our collaborative, diverse and inclusive culture.
- Top 75 employers in the 2020 Social Mobility Employer Index - Ranked 10th
- 2019 Best Law Firm for Women - Working Mother Magazine, Law360 & Euromoney
- 2019 Lambda Legal Law Firm Leadership Award - for commitment to addressing the legal needs of homeless youths
- Best Law Firm in the Voluntary Carbon Market 2019 - Environmental Finance
- Climate Change Firm of the Year - Who's Who Legal Awards
- TARGET job awards 2020 - Finalist for most popular graduate recruiter in law
- LCN Best Trainer 2020 – nominee Best Recruiter Large City firm
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on +44 20 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. Our diversity makes our global community stronger, more interesting and richer in thought, and helps us in solving complex problems and designing practical solutions for our clients.
- We view diversity and inclusion as a business imperative, and seek to engage with our clients to drive diversity and inclusion both within our Firm and in the broader legal community. Diverse teams make innovation possible, provide us greater insight into client needs, and lead to better performance
- Our approach is global and inclusive. We have more than 13,000 employees in 46 countries who speak 80+ languages, and we want to ensure that all of our people feel included and empowered
- The D&I Agenda is championed at the highest level by our Global Chair and our Global Executive Committee whose members each have KPIs around diversity
- We have a Global D&I Committee who actively work to drive forward the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy and monitors progress through regular meetings and leadership accountability
- We are proactively cultivating a diverse and inclusive environment through leadership accountability, policies and practices and client and community outreach.
- Locally, we have engaged in multiple D&I activities, including the mentoring of students from more fragile background in collaboration with Be.Face (www.beface.be). If they want to, our associates are actively involved in these initiatives.
In 2019 we enacted global targets of 40% women, 40% men and 20% flexible (women, men or non-binary persons) by July 2025. The targets apply to partners, senior business professionals, committee leadership and candidate pools for recruitment.