The Real Estate team is an integral part of Baker McKenzie's Belgian Office and has been involved in several high profile deals in recent years such as the longlease on the Blue Tower from Befimmo in Brussels, the disposal of the Post X companies from IRET to AG Real Estate (one of the two largest office deals in 2020), the sale of Shopping Olen NV by Aberdeen (largest 2020 Belgian retail deal).
The team has been consistently ranked band 1 or 2 in Chambers and Legal 500 over the last years. The Belgian Real Estate team works closely and regularly with the Regional and Global Real Estate practices of the Firm which boasts more than 500 real estate professionals around the world. The work of the Brussels Real Estate team is varied, of high-value and often international in nature and is often performed in close integration with the banking & finance, environmental and tax teams.
Our Real Estate department advises on a wide range of property matters specialising in the areas of:
- High value investment acquisitions and disposals;
- Corporate headquarter leasing;
- Real estate financings;
- Hotels and leisure sector transactions;
- Planning and sustainability matters;
- Development projects;
- Retail (luxury goods) leases;
- General landlord and tenant matters;
- Real estate input into M&A transactions.
The department acts for a diverse range of high profile clients in the corporate and financial arena and its primary client base comprises major developers, institutional investors, multinational corporates, foreign investment, financial institutions and private equity houses.
In recent years, the department has been able to keep a focus both on large international and Belgian investors (BentallGreenOak, Goldman Sachs, Aberdeen, Leasinvest,…) and major Belgian developers (IRET, Revive, Dwntwn,…) whilst continuing to serve the Firm's international corporate and industrial clients as well as major transactions in the HRT sector (for instance the Sunparks De Haan transaction for Pierre & Vacances). The team is mid-size and works as a cohesive team with specialist lawyers in other departments particularly administrative law, tax, funds and corporate, in both the Belgian office and globally. The team combines an extremely high level of real estate expertise that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice. The successful candidate would be working within this supportive and collegiate environment.
We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented junior- mid level Associate, looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. Interested applicants should be able to demonstrate exemplary technical skills and relish the opportunity to join a truly unique and successful global real estate team.
The role will involve:
- Advising Belgian and international investors with real estate investment acquisitions and disposals
- Advising major Belgian developers in development and disposal transactions
- Advising and supporting leading multi-national corporates with their occupational requirements in Belgium
- Working closely with the Belgian offices Banking team to support real estate finance transactions
- Working closely with the Belgian offices Corporate team in the coordination and implementation of multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- Strong academic background (Belgian law degree)
- 1-5 years of relevant experience in Real Estate
- Excellent command of English, Dutch and French
- High quality work standards
- Strong client-service orientation
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well both in a team and individually
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the worlds most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
Baker McKenzie opened its first Belgian office in Brussels in 1957. In 2002, it opened its Antwerp office. Today, Baker McKenzie has more than 80 Belgian qualified lawyers across the two offices.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Named Acritas' World's Strongest Law Firm Brand for 11 consecutive years and were named Global Law Firm of the Year in Europe at the Lawyer European Awards 2020.
- Ranked as one of the Stonewall Top Global Employer for 2020, reflecting our commitment to our progressive values and our collaborative, diverse and inclusive culture.
- Top 75 employers in the 2020 Social Mobility Employer Index - Ranked 10th
- 2019 Best Law Firm for Women - Working Mother Magazine, Law360 & Euromoney
- 2019 Lambda Legal Law Firm Leadership Award - for commitment to addressing the legal needs of homeless youths
- Best Law Firm in the Voluntary Carbon Market 2019 - Environmental Finance
- Climate Change Firm of the Year - Who's Who Legal Awards
- TARGET job awards 2020 - Finalist for most popular graduate recruiter in law
- LCN Best Trainer 2020 – nominee Best Recruiter Large City firm
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either +44 20 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on +44 20 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. Our diversity makes our global community stronger, more interesting and richer in thought, and helps us in solving complex problems and designing practical solutions for our clients.
- We view diversity and inclusion as a business imperative, and seek to engage with our clients to drive diversity and inclusion both within our Firm and in the broader legal community. Diverse teams make innovation possible, provide us greater insight into client needs, and lead to better performance
- Our approach is global and inclusive. We have more than 13,000 employees in 46 countries who speak 80+ languages, and we want to ensure that all of our people feel included and empowered
- The D&I Agenda is championed at the highest level by our Global Chair and our Global Executive Committee whose members each have KPIs around diversity
- We have a Global D&I Committee who actively work to drive forward the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy and monitors progress through regular meetings and leadership accountability
- We are proactively cultivating a diverse and inclusive environment through leadership accountability, policies and practices and client and community outreach.
In 2019 we enacted global targets of 40% women, 40% men and 20% flexible (women, men or non-binary persons) by July 2025. The targets apply to partners, senior business professionals, committee leadership and candidate pools for recruitment.