The Team Lead - Contentious Support Group will help to manage our teams of Legal Professionals (i.e. paralegals) and assist with the delivery of projects to various Baker McKenzie offices around the globe. This is a great opportunity to develop your leadership and management skills in a global leading legal practice, and to progress as part of an award winning Firm. We are looking for applicants who have a very strong work ethic and a genuine interest in our practice.
- Working with and supervising teams of Legal Professionals on client billable projects in accordance with matter requirements and agreed deadlines.
- Providing cost estimates to instructing teams prior to the commencement of a matter, and managing costs throughout the duration of the project.
- Liaising with instructing teams in relation to the provision of project instructions, and assisting with the drafting of such instructions where necessary.
- Attending video conference/in-person briefing sessions with the project instructing team and Legal Professionals.
- Resolving substantive queries raised by the Legal Professionals throughout projects, escalating to the Director - Contentious Support Group and instructing team where necessary.
- Communicating with the instructing team and relevant third parties (where appropriate) throughout the duration of billable projects.
- Training the Legal Professionals on the specifics of billable matters, and monitoring the performance of the team throughout the duration of the projects, raising any training needs with the Director - Contentious Support Group.
- Leading team meetings with the Legal Professionals and instructing team throughout the course of projects.
- Conducting quality control of work performed by the Legal Professionals.
- Delivering feedback to the Legal Professionals arising from quality control and addressing any performance issues and training requirements.
- Obtaining feedback from instructing teams upon completion of projects, and drafting "lessons learned" documents for internal purposes.
- Developing best practice processes for a wide range of billable projects.
- Managing technology required for specific projects, and liaising with technology providers where appropriate.
- Ensuring team compliance with Firm time recording requirements.
- Providing pastoral care to a group of Legal Professionals, including regular one to one meetings, performance management, mentoring and coaching.
- Supporting the Director - Contentious Support Group with team recruitment processes.
- Assisting the Director - Contentious Support Group with bespoke projects other than billable matters, such as internal Firm projects and implementing training programmes.
- Some limited travel may be required.
Technical skills, qualifications and experience:
- Law graduate (2:1 or above) with a strong academic background.
- Experience of legal technology solutions, including eDiscovery platforms and processes.
- Supervisory experience in a fast-paced legal environment.
- Experience in leading project teams on time-sensitive matters, working with senior stakeholders to deliver results.
- Exceptional problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. resulting in the identification of process improvements.
- Excellent time management, organisational, and administrative skills, a capacity to multi-task and work well under pressure, with an ability to manage multiple responsibilities at the same time.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and online research tools.
- Excellent writing, organisational and communication skills.