As the Global Proposals, Senior Manager for the North America Region you will:
- Lead a strategic approach to pitching, act as a specialist advisor to the NA Business Development Team and drive best practice in pitching in the NA region.
- Be the 'go to' lead for NA bids/pitches and panel proposals to clients that are, or have the potential to become, of strategic importance to the Firm in the NA region, and have the main responsibility for all pitches submitted by BD managers to be submitted on time, and be of the highest quality.
- Identify and instill process improvement into the pitching process, so we continually deliver higher levels of quality with each pitch we deliver.
- Recruit, manage and develop the NA proposals team to produce high quality, persuasive documents and coach service teams to effective presentations
- Proposal responsibilities
- Working closely with the other Global Proposal Managers, (Global, EMEA, LatAm and Asia Pacific) to implement best practice guidelines relating to the bid management process.
- Working with partners to rigorously assess proposal opportunities, help partners to decline opportunities that are not in line with the Firm strategy and assemble teams and resources to respond quickly and effectively to those opportunities we do pursue.
- Supporting the development of pricing proposals; particularly the identification of alternative billing arrangements and providing the necessary support to implement such arrangements.
- Conducting debriefings with the clients/ prospects/ internal teams and implementing changes to processes following feedback.
- Tracking all NA region pitch activity on a regular basis and reporting to leaders/team as appropriate. Acting as a sounding board and point of call for advice for all other BD members involved in pitching.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Partner and Senior NA BD/Marketing professional satisfaction with the services provided by the NA Proposal Function.
- Improvement in proposal “decision not to proceed”, “win” and “debrief” rates.
- Coaching, mentoring and professional development of direct report(s).
- Management of any relevant business development budgets.
Baker McKenzie in North America is a leader in multi-jurisdictional, cross-border M&A and litigation, and routinely advises global enterprises on risk management and compliance issues. Our strong North American practices, with more than 700 lawyers, offer clients local experience and fluent advice on the complexities of the globalized economy, leveraging our Firm’s unmatched international platform.
The Firm's North American Business Development, Marketing and Communications (BDMC) team has over 40 professionals in the US and Canada, who operate as part of a single team. This team supports seven practice groups, with teams of professionals also assigned to specific areas, including proposals, client development, events and communications.
BDMC plays an integral role in the development and implementation of the Firm's North American strategy. This includes the development of market leading services, geographic initiatives, and targeted events such as the multi-market Doing Business Globally program and the Industry Insights series. It also contributes to the ongoing development and implementation of the Firm's media and profile strategy. BDMC works closely with the Global Business Development and Marketing team and its counterpart teams in LatAm, EMEA and Asia Pacific.
The role requires someone with proven experience who:
- Has an advanced degree (Bachelor or higher), preferably in business administration, marketing or communications.
- Has at least six years experience in business development and/or marketing communications in the professional services or financial services industry sectors, with significant hands on experience in proposal development (bank and commercial company panels, government tenders etc.).
- Has demonstrated experience implementing and maintaining proposal infrastructure processes and tools.
- Is detail orientated with excellent English Language written/verbal communication skills and genuinely enjoys writing.
- Is highly organized with strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and meet tight deadlines simultaneously.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in ‘remote teams’ of Partners, lawyers and BD/marketing professionals around the world, and is willing to travel and work outside of office hours.
- Is savvy in understanding and adapting to the expectations and needs of different cultures both within the Region and Globally.
- Has developed persuasive and diplomacy skills and has experience in dealing autonomously with highly intelligent and demanding internal clients at all levels.
- Is a hands-on team player with a 'client service' focus, and flexible can-do attitude.
- Is motivated and enthusiastic – a 'self-starter' with requisite personal drive and energy.
- Has a strong commercial interest and keeps abreast of business trends.