To develop and execute business development and marketing initiatives, leading a team of BDMC Managers and Coordinators, for the Asia-Pacific Transactional Group (the Groups), currently covering M&A, Private Equity, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets and Projects Groups, with the objective of winning, retaining and growing business and strengthening brand. This role will also play a connectivity and coaching role for all In-Market BDMC team members supporting the Groups across AP.
- Develop and oversee delivery of compelling BDMC strategy and plans across the Groups, aligned with the global strategy but fine-tuned for AP market needs and dynamics; set and execute the strategic market-focused direction for the Groups with fee earners
- Develop, define and disseminate clear positioning and messaging for the Groups - in line with the global groups and aligned with the Firm branding and communications plans - with the goal of achieving brand recognition across AP with a particular focus on high growth markets
- Ensure significant cross-border pitches and proposals for the Groups are delivered at a high level of quality and strategic input
- Team with lawyers and BDMC staff around the world to market the services and expertise of the Groups in AP, through the development and deployment of thought leadership content, market leading events, sponsorships and other profile-raising activities
- Monitor and spot forward-looking Group issues and trends and translate their legal impact to clients and lawyers in a commercial way for impacting strategy, business plans and their execution
- Manage and co-ordinate initiatives with BDMC teams, setting high standards and values, and embedding shared values of collaboration, market-leading intelligence and client service across the team
- Work and co-ordinate with Industry Key Client (IKC) and Regional Client Managers to identify and develop clients to develop pipeline of transactional work. Partner closely with specialist functions (Key Client management, Marketing & Campaigns and Communications, Pitch Excellence & Pursuits, Pricing Excellence etc.) to ensure the Group's media engagement, proposal preparation and pitch training for attorneys, pricing options and alternative fee arrangements strategies align with the requirements of the business as well as global best practice
- Work with our marcomms and Events teams on production needs including proposal and communications templates; marketing material, campaigns and channels; roll-out of branding communications and advertising; managing submissions for awards, league tables and directories; and event requirements
- Lead on the development and execution of priority service lines and cross-border regional initiatives, in line with the AP TPG Business Plan or strategic priorities
Occasional travel to AP offices, Regional PG Meeting/ Training and AP Partner Meeting
About The Team
Business Development, Marketing & Communications (BDMC)
The BDMC function works closely with our Clients, Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong client relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to identify growth opportunities and drive business development through these, creating new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the Director, BDMC, Global Transactional Group (with dotted line to Asia Pacific Region).
The direct report of this role are two Business Development Managers.
The key relationships of this role are with the Partners, attorneys, BDMC Colleagues, PBS colleagues.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or other qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Experience of team leadership in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience of conceptualising, leading and successfully implementing cross-border strategy and business growth projects, with strong ROI
- Experience working with and influencing senior stakeholders for strategic business outcomes
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Advanced understanding of strategic business development, marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude and team spirit
- High degree of attention to detail and excellent project management skills
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.