We are looking for a Chief of Staff to join our Administration, Operations and Risk function to provide sophisticated, senior-level support to our Regional Operating Officer and Australian Managing Partner. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for the delivery of exceptional service to clients and will work closely with leadership to develop and drive the implementation of Firm strategy across practices and markets in Australia.
- Provide advice and support the implementation of Firm strategies, processes, policies, guidelines and reporting.
- Provide strategic, analytical and project management support and oversee and execute key projects and initiatives.
- Develop, monitor and coordinate business planning and budgeting to drive operational and financial improvements.
- Assist with management of the business, including partnership matters.
- Provide leadership and guidance to ensure communication, collaboration and to assess needs and develop improvements.
- Act as the Firm’s local risk, regulatory and compliance representative.
- Ensure high levels of organizational effectiveness within a high performance culture.
- Implement resourcing model, headcount planning, staffing and talent pipeline.
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree (law, business administration, finance, or related field, MBA preferred).
- Extensive experience with office management and administration (law firm or professional services environment preferred).
- Strong business acumen, operational excellence, client service and cost management skills.
- Project management skills and management experience (within a global organisation preferred).
- Sophisticated organization, communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to collaborate and build trust.
- Experience in leading organizational change preferred.
- Strong ability to lead, motivate and mentor others.
Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, Australia.
Role may require travel 10-15% of time, mostly within Australia.
About the team
Our Administration, Operations and Risk function supports and manages the day-to-day operations of the Firm, providing expert and in-market support regarding office management, office services and facilities, real estate management, risk management, and secretarial and administrative services.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner.
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards.
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible.
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands.
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations.
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity.
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise.
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships.
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent.
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people.
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Diversity and Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Wanner, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.