Brian Cacic primarily focuses on customs law issues as well as export control regulations compliance. He obtained his LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario, and holds a Master of Science in Mathematics and a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Computer Science. Mr. Cacic was also the recipient of the 2004 Governor General of Canada’s Gold Medal in recognition of his achievements in his graduate studies. Mr. Cacic is a member of the Canadian and Ontario bar associations and the Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters, among others.
Mr. Cacic focuses his practice primarily on the area of Canadian customs, trade sanctions, and export controls. He has worked on numerous customs issues, including customs valuation, tariff classification, rules of origin, marking, remissions and drawbacks, anti-dumping and subsidies. He has also advised clients on the application of Canadian export controls to dual-use items, particularly items containing cryptography, as well as nuclear devices and materials, military goods, and missile control and avionics equipment. He has also advised extensively on the application of Canadian trade sanctions to business activities involving Iran, Syria, and Libya. In addition, Mr. Cacic advises on Canadian commodity tax issues and regulatory compliance issues in the areas of food and drugs, telecommunications and radio communications, and environmental product stewardship.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising numerous multinational corporations in various industry sectors on customs law issues and export control regulations compliance.
- Advising a major US retailer on Canadian packaging, labelling and product safety regulations relating to marketing of apparel, footwear, accessories and jewellery.
- Advising various types of financial service providers on regulatory compliance requirements for carrying on business in Canada.
- Determining all applicable product standards and providing a summary of Canadian products liability laws for a European manufacturer of motor vehicle equipment, who was considering entering the Canadian market.
- Advising a large US multinational company on the telecommunications, export controls, and Canadian product stewardship requirements applicable to new environmental monitoring equipment to be deployed in a new service offering.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
University of Western Ontario
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.