Nicole Looks joined Baker & McKenzie Frankfurt in June 2004. Before she was engaged as Partner with KPMG Wirtschaftspruefungsgesellschaft, where she had a substantial influence on the establishment of a specialist team in the field of indirect taxation and customs law for eleven years.International Tax Review, World Tax 2006 and World Tax 2007, lists Ms. Looks as a leading individual in the area of Indirect Taxes. From 1990 until 1992 she was engaged as customs auditor with the regional tax office in Karlsruhe.She became Master of Taxation ("Diplom-Finanzwirtin") at Fachhochschule des Bundes fuer oeffentliche Verwaltung (Bundeszollverwaltung) in Muenster und Sigmaringen in 1990 and was admitted as Certified Tax Advisor (German Tax Bar) in 1997.
Ms. Looks is a partner and member of the Firm's General Tax practices of the German Offices. She further heads the European and German Indirect Tax Practice. Her practice focuses on advising national and international companies in all value added tax and customs relatedmatters. The particular emphasis lies in the advice with regard to thereorganisation of international production and sales structures, the optimization of inbound transactions under the provisons of customs law, the forensic activity in particular with regard to the settlement of customs and VAT disputes, and providing support during tax audits.
- Adviced several multinationals in the implementation of sales commissionaire structures in Europe (including defence in tax field audits).
- Adviced several German banks in VAT related issues regarding securitization projects.
- Represented a global internet service provider in VAT related issues before the German finance courts.
- Adviced international telecommunication company in setting up VAT optimized structures.
- Represented a major supplier in the automotive sector in customs audits.
Frankfurt Tax Bar~Germany (1997)
Fac. des Bundes fuer oeffentliche Verwaltung Münster/Sigmaringen
(Graduate Public Finance)
Baker & McKenzie - Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten, Wirtschaftsprüfern, Steuerberatern und Solicitors is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.