Matthias Courvoisier co-heads the Firm’s Capital Markets Practice Group in Zurich. For more than 10 years, Dr. Courvoisier has worked on legal matters relating to capital markets law, mergers and acquisitions, as well as litigation. He co-edits Baker & McKenzie’s ShortNews, and has written articles for International World Securities Law Report, Le Temps, NZZ, Sweizerische Zeitschrift fur Wirtschafts-und Finanzmarktrecht, and BNA International World Securities Law Report. Dr. Courvoisier also served as a member of the committees tasked to draft the standards for auditing public takeover offers.
Dr. Courvoisier focuses his practice on capital markets transactions in Switzerland, including public takeovers and IPOs. He has extensive experience working on M&A transactions and helping companies in distressed situations. Dr. Courvoisier also represents clients involved in court and arbitration cases.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Hexagon AB in the first successful non-recommended bid for Leica Geosystems Holdings AG in Switzerland.
- Acted for 3i in their auction process for the trade sale of SR Technics Group with a deal value of CHF1.6 billion, one of the largest private equity transactions in Switzerland.
- Advised SIG Holding AG in their defense against a hostile takeover bid and supported to organize a successful bidding competition against the hostile bidder.
- Coordinated, together with Baker & McKenzie London, the raising of CHF100 million in subordinated shareholder debt with accompanying warrants for a Swiss-based international industry company.
- Represents a Swiss company in their defense against minority shareholder claiming an increase in their compensation after cash compensation merger (squeeze-out merger).
- Advised a US Corporation in their cross-border public takeover offer for a Swiss listed company, thereby solving a problem from their share plan.
- Advised Cosmo Pharmaceuticals, an Italian company, in their IPO at SIX Swiss Exchange.
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.