The lawyers in our German Subsidies Law Group offer our clients comprehensive, high quality legal support in all aspects of national, European and international subsidies/state aid law. For advice on European state aid law, we work in close cooperation with our colleagues from the European & Competition Law practice in Brussels.
We advise our clients in the preparation of subsidy applications, in negotiations with the competent national and European authorities, on issues of compliance with the terms of subsidy grants, and in follow-up negotiations with the authorities in connection with repayment orders, including negotiating adjustments to the terms of investment grants. We advise with the objective of structuring companies' activities from the outset so as to avoid conflicts with existing subsidy terms and regulations whilst ensuring also that the remaining flexibility available under these terms and regulations is exploited to the best advantage.
In addition to advising on subsidies available under national and European aid schemes, we assist our clients in making full use of opportunities to obtain subsidies outside the framework of existing schemes in compliance with national and European law. Our team has extensive experience in advising on subsidies issues in connection with the acquisition or restructuring of companies (in particular potential liabilities and adjustment/transfer of existing investment grants).
We also advise Member State bodies on the design and implementation of state aid schemes under EU rules, including the notification of schemes to the European Commission.
Furthermore, we advise corporate and public clients with regard to the WTO Agreement on Subsidies and Countervailing Duties.
Our practice includes the following activities:
- Assistance to companies in connection with subsidy applications
- Preparation of subsidy applications
- Advice on specific terms and conditions of grants
- Representation of clients in negotiations with the competent authorities regarding subsidy terms
- Advice and assistance in connection with state aid notification procedures before the European Commission
- Advice to public bodies on the notification of state aid schemes
- Advice to private companies on the requirements for individual aid outside of authorized aid schemes
- Advice on compliance with specific terms of investment grants
- Advice on subsidies issues in connection with the acquisition or restructuring of companies
- Advice on potential liabilities
- Advice on the admissibility and structuring of subsidies
- Advice on the transfer and adjustment of existing investment grants
- Subsequent negotiations of subsidy terms with the competent authorities
- Advice and assistance in negotiations with the competent authorities in connection with repayment orders
- Representation of clients in disputes and administrative procedures