Junko Suetomi has 12 years of experience practicing law in Japan and the United States. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Economics Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases. Ms. Suetomi has co-authored numerous publications related to her practice. She has been a member of the Attorney’s Ethics Committee of the Osaka Bar Association, and delivered lectures on the anti-monopoly law in various universities.
Ms. Suetomi focuses her practice on commercial and trade laws and regulations, WTO dispute settlement, civil and criminal litigation, antitrust law, bankruptcy law and general corporate law. She has extensive experience advising clients on issues involving “zeroing,” anti-dumping and countervailing duties, CDSOA issues in the United States, tariff treatment and government seizure of various products, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
Ms. Suetomi has worked on the following dispute settlement cases. Countries in parentheses represent the complainants.
- DS375, 376 and 377 – Joined as a member of the delegation of Japanese Government in a dispute in relation to the tariff treatment of certain information technology products. (US, Japan, TPKM)
- DS322 – Joined as a member of the delegation of Japanese Government in a dispute in connection to measures relating to zeroing and sunset reviews. (Japan)
- DS397 – Joined as a member of the delegation of Japanese Government as a third party in a dispute in relation to definitive anti-dumping measures on certain iron or steel fasteners from China. (China)
- DS379 – Joined as a member of the delegation of Japanese Government as a third party in a dispute in relation to definitive anti-dumping and countervailing duties on certain products from China. (China)
- DS350 – Joined as a member of the delegation of Japanese Government as a third party in a dispute in relation to continued existence and application of zeroing methodology. (EU)
- Advised Akagawa-Ei Corporation in relation to civil rehabilitation proceedings.
- Advised Kyoto Plaza Co. Ltd. in relation to corporate reorganization proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
New York~United States (2006)
Cornell Law School
New York University School of Law
Kyushu University, Japan
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.