Yoshiaki Muto has two decades of experience handling international corporate transactions and dispute matters. He is currently the managing partner and Dispute Resolution Practice Group leader of the Firm's Tokyo office, and a member of the Asia Pacific Regional Council and the Global Policy Committee of Baker & McKenzie. Mr. Muto was recommended as a dispute resolution practitioner in Japan by PLC Which Lawyer and Global Counsel 3000, and was recently named a leading individual in the litigation field by Chambers Asia.
Mr. Muto focuses his practice in the areas of domestic and international dispute resolution, including litigation and arbitration, corporate investigation and compliance. He also advises on international trade, general corporate and commercial matters, including those pertaining to corporate law, contract law and competition law. Mr. Muto has acted for clients in a wide range of industries, including Japanese and foreign manufacturing, finance, distribution services and computer systems. He particularly focuses on the medical and pharmaceutical industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Japanese auto parts manufacturer in relation to the acquisition of a North American plant and similar facilities.
- Acted for a Japanese construction machinery manufacturer in connection with the restructuring of a Southeast Asian marketing organization and a joint venture.
- Advised a major computer software company and its domestic licensees in relation to various disputes concerning licensing agreements.
- Advised and negotiated recall procedures, response to general consumers and business connections, payment of damages and similar compensations with respect to recall cases arising from product flaws in computer and telecommunication equipment, pharmaceutical and medical devices, retail food products, sporting equipment and the like.
- Conducted internal investigations into employee misconduct on behalf of a client, and negotiated and represented it in associated criminal prosecution cases, civil compensation claim cases, and similar claims.
- Advised various clients — Japanese and foreign drug and medical equipment manufacturers, computer equipment manufacturers, food and beverage manufacturers, software development companies, hotels and resort management companies, major brand corporations and publishing companies — in relation to day-to-day legal consultation services concerning internal control, internal procedures, business agreements, labor, industry laws and regulations, and compliance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Committee on International Legal Affairs and Foreign Attorneys
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Registered Foreign Lawyers Disciplinary Actions Committee
- Ministry of Justice of Japan - National Bar Examination Operating Committee on International Civil and Commerical Laws
New York~United States (1998)
University of Illinois College of Law
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.