Karyn Koiffman is a partner in the New York office of Baker & McKenzie. Ms. Koiffman represents private equity sponsors, corporations and financial institutions in a wide range of complex domestic and cross-border business transactions.
Ms. Koiffman focuses her practice on mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyout transactions, recapitalizations, reorganizations, going private transactions, joint ventures, commercial contracts and related corporate matters. In addition, Ms. Koiffman regularly represents large corporations and portfolio companies of private equity clients with respect to all their corporate needs including add-on acquisitions and divestitures. Ms. Koiffman is also a member of the Firm's Latin America Practice Group and has extensive experience with legal and business issues involving Brazil. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie, Ms. Koiffman was a partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis. Previously, Ms. Koiffman was a corporate associate at Castro, Barros, Sobral Advogados in São Paulo, Brazil.
Representative Legal Matters
Ms. Koiffman’s transactions include the following*:
- Represented United Retail Group in the Chapter 11 asset sale of Avenue, a retail clothing company.
- Represented Apax Partners Ltd. in the going private acquisition of Bankrate Inc. in the approximate amount of USD571 million.
- Represented MSG WC Holdings Corp. in the sale of Mobile Storage Group Inc., a Nasdaq listed corporation and leading provider of corporate solutions, for the approximate consideration of USD700 million.
- Represented several private equity firms in leveraged buyouts, sales, recapitalizations and related corporate matters.
Ms. Koiffman's cross-border transactions specifically involving Brazil include the following*:
- Represented Starwood Capital in connections with its 33 percent stake in MRV Logística, the industrial real estate subsidiary of Brazilian developer MRV Engenharia.
- Represented GID Investment Advisers LLC in connection with a joint venture investment in three existing for-sale condominium projects in Brazil and on the formation of a platform joint venture with OAS Empreendimentos SA, the fourth largest multi-family developer in Brazil, to develop multi-family and mixed-use residential properties in Brazil.
- Represented Molson Coors Brewing Company in its sale of Cervejarias Kaiser Brasil, a Brazilian brewer, to Femsa Cerveza, SA de CV.
- Represented AIG Capital Partners, in its acquisition of a minority stake in Calyx Agro Ltd., a joint venture formed for the acquisition and development of agricultural land in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
- Represented Sun Capital and American Standard Americas in the sale of American Standard's Brazilian division.
- Advised a hedge fund in connection with the simultaneous offers by the Telefónica and Vivendi to acquire GVT (Holdings) SA, a broadband company in Brazil.
*Matters were completed prior to joining Baker & McKenzie LLP
View All »
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Brazilian Leader at the JCRC Israel and International Affairs Commission
New York~United States (2005)
University of Michigan Law School
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Law School
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.