Harvey Lau is a partner in the Firm’s Banking & Finance group. He has been ranked as one of the leading lawyers for banking and finance as well as asset finance by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Mr. Lau is also recommended by PLC Global 50, PLC Which lawyer? and IFLR 1000 , and has been recognized by Euromoney Legal Group’s Guide to World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers. He is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, and is admitted as a solicitor in New York, Hong Kong, as well as England and Wales.
Mr. Lau’s practice is focused on PRC lending and aviation and equipment financings. He has worked on numerous syndicated and bilateral loan transactions involving PRC borrowers and security providers, and regularly advises financial institutions and other corporate clients on financial regulatory issues in China.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a number of PRC airlines on numerous aircraft and engine leasing and financing transactions, including pre-delivery financing, French tax leasing structure, Japanese operating leasing structure, and US Eximbank guaranteed transactions.
- Advised an MNC on a number of USD/RMB dual currency financing transactions for the construction of a number of chemical plants in Nanjing, PRC.
- Advised a number of MNCs on the structuring, including entrustment loans and securities, of a number of share and equity acquisitions in China.
- Advised a number of foreign banks on setting up representative offices and branches in Shanghai and Beijing.
- Advised a PRC state-owned bank on an export credit financing transaction involving the construction of a power plant in Mongolia with Sinosure support.
- Advised a PRC state-owned bank on providing financing to a PRC-listed company’s subsidiary in the US in the hotel business through the nei bao wai dai structure (offshore financing with onshore security).
- Advised an Australian bank on cross-border RMB settlement and other regulatory issues related to RMB businesses under the People’s Bank of China/Bank of China (Hong Kong) clearing agreement.
- Advised a number of US custodian banks on a number of custodian service projects in China, including the custody of overseas investments of China Life and The National Commission of Social Security Fund.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of England & Wales
England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (1998)
Hong Kong (1993)
New York~United States (1991)
New York University
University of Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.