Alejandro Mesa leads the Firm’s Energy Law practice in Bogota. He has over 12 years’ experience advising on oil and gas and power generation and transmission matters. Also, Mr. Mesa has participated in several major projects and project finance transactions. Mr. Mesa was recognized for his energy practice in the 2011 edition of Chambers Latin America. He is also listed in the inaugural ranking for Best Lawyers of Colombia. Mr. Mesa is currently a professor of technology transfer contracts at the El Rosario University in Bogotá, and has been an assistant professor of contract law at the Los Andes University. He is a member of the Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas.
Mr. Mesa devotes most of his time assisting clients in the oil and gas upstream business and in the power generation sector. He represents US and European companies engaged in the Colombian energy sector, and has handled several major projects and significant project finance transactions. Owing to his experience working with Colombian government entities throughout his career, Mr. Mesa also advises clients seeking to participate in government procurement procedures or to structure distribution channels in Colombia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Public Sector Pension Investment Board on the negotiation and implementation of a joint venture with Amarilo S.A. (one of the largest real estate developers in Colombia) for the development of real estate projects in Colombia and Panama.
- Advised the Nogal Asesorías Financieras / Frontino Gold Mines, on asset sale of a gold mine in Colombia by a company undergoing liquidation.
- Advised TermoYopal S.A, on legal structuring of a 100 MW gas-fired power plant project in the municipality of Yopal (adjacent to the Cusiana/Cupiaga oil and gas fields). This involved preparation of power purchase, gas supply, lease and other relevant agreements.
- Advised the Colombian branch of French TOTAL S.A. on the competitive process that led to the award of the Niscota exploration block, an area of high prospect. The process involved assessing the legal implication and risks of having ANH’s E&P contract with elements of profit participation, as well as advising TOTAL S.A. on all matters related to the negotiation and execution of the E&P contract with ANH and the joint operating agreement with TOTAL S.A.’s joint ventures.
- Acted for the Republic of Colombia and the municipalities of Pereira and Dosquebradas in structuring their bus rapid transit system, and in preparing, conducting and awarding the concessions for the operation and centralized ticket collection for the center-west metropolitan area (Colombia).
- Acted for the Republic of Nicaragua in structuring the segmentation of their integrated power company ENEL into six companies (three in the power generation sector, one in the transmission sector and two in the distribution sector), and in preparing and closing the USD125 million privatization of the power generation and distribution companies.
- Acted for Enbridge International Inc. in the divestment of Enbridge's indirect 24.7 percent stake in Oleoducto Central S.A.
- Acted for SHV Holdings N.V. in its acquisition of a 43.54 percent stake in Makro Colombia, a cash and carry wholesaler in Colombia.
- Acted for BOC Holdings in the sale of its 73.95 percent stake in Gases Industriales de Colombia S.A. (Cryogas) to Indura S.A.
- Acted for Martinair Holland N.V. and other shareholders of Tampa Cargo S.A., a Colombian air cargo company, in the sale of the company to Avianca, the Colombian flagship carrier.
University of Los Andes
Baker & McKenzie Colombia S.A. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.