Larry Finder has extensive experience in government investigations, corporate compliance counseling, federal grand jury, trial practice, internal investigations and business crimes. He became US Attorney for the Southern District of Texas in February 1993.
Recently, he was honored by the Federal Bar Association in recognition of his appointment by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to investigate and prosecute a US Justice Department complaint filed against a sitting US district judge from New Orleans. He prosecuted the case before the Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit in New Orleans, and the trial record was subsequently referred to the US House of Representatives for impeachment consideration. The House impeached the judge, followed by a trial in the US Senate. The judge was unanimously convicted and removed from office on 8 December 2010.
Mr. Finder's reputation as one of the top attorneys in his field has been bolstered by his oft-cited studies on deferred prosecution agreements and nonprosecution agreements. He has also been recognized as one of the top FCPA lawyers working outside of Washington, DC by prestigious insider news organizations, including Main Justice. In 2011, he was selected as a Top Gun in the Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter for his work at “the top of the ethics and compliance world.”
Mr. Finder is committed to public service outside of his law practice. He was recently selected to chair the Harris County Public Defender Board of Directors, and was also selected for a three-year appointment (from 2009 to 2014) to the Practitioners Advisory Group (PAG), a standing advisory group of the United States Sentencing Commission. He currently holds appointments on the board of managers for the Harris County Hospital District (he previously served from 1995-2003, and chaired from 1999-2003) and the Harris County Public Defender Board (Chairman). He has also served on the board of trustees for Crime Stoppers Houston (2007 to 2009), and on the board of trustees and executive committee for The Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston (from 2004 to 2006).
Mr. Finder focuses his practice on government civil investigations, international cartels, and US criminal investigations and prosecutions. He is also experienced in white-collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, securities class action defense and shareholder litigation, and financial crisis advisory and litigation. He also handles matters relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, SEC enforcement, and the False Claims Act / Qui Tam. Mr. Finder also advises on antitrust, environmental crimes, and healthcare fraud and abuse matters.
Representative Legal Matters
View All »
- Internal investigation for investment firm that was victim of theft of trade secrets.
- Internal investigation for national telecommunication company for employee fraud and self-dealing.
- Represented president of oilfield service manufacturing company under federal investigation for fraud; no criminal charges filed.
- Represented a waste disposal and environmental solutions entity in federal work site enforcement action.
- Represented a container manufacturing entity under government contract for worksite enforcement violations.
- Represented principals in worksite investigation; no criminal charges filed.
- Represented CEO of food service company for worksite enforcement violations; no felony charges filed.
- Represented a non-profit service organization to investigate allegations of improprieties by high level personnel.
- Represented the audit committee of an international oilfield services and equipment company to investigate alleged violations of export control laws and foreign corrupt practices.
- Appointed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to investigate and present a disciplinary case against a sitting United States district fudge before the Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit. That judge was eventually impeached by the House of Representatives and then convicted and removed from office by the US Senate.
- Attorneys Who Matter: Top Guns, Ethisphere Institute, 2011-2013
- Top 100 Houston Region Super Lawyers - Criminal Defense-White Collar, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2015
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, Texas’ Best Lawyers, 2009, 2012-2015
- International Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2015
- International Who’s Who of Investigations Lawyers and Forensic Experts and International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2014
- International Who's Who Legal of Business Crime Lawyers, 2003-2006 and 2011-2012
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings – AV Preeminent Rated™ Lawyer Peer Review Rating, 1996-2013
- Best FCPA Lawyers Outside the Beltway, MainJustice.com, 2011
- Award for Exceptional Assistance to Preserve the Integrity of the Judiciary, Federal Bar Association and Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit, 2011
- Recognized in ICFM Leading Lawyers 500, InterContinental Finance Magazine
- Shortlisted for the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2015 in the category of: Business Crime Firm of the Year - USA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federalist Society - Member
- American Bar Association - Criminal Justice Section
- National Association of Former U.S. Attorneys - Member
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1987)
Colorado Supreme Court~United States (1986)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
New York~United States (1984)
Texas~United States (1983)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (1983)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1982)
Illinois Supreme Court~United States (1976)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1976)
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Northern Illinois University
(B.A. cum laude)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.